You are here:

Insurance Law/Lawsuit against me


I sold a vehicle in February 2014 to a young couple who desperately needed a car right away. I forgot to take my tag off of the car, and when I realized it I couldn't get a hold of them to get it back.  I had immediately dropped the insurance because I had sold the car.  One month later, these people got into a hit and run accident.  Since the vehicle was still registered to me, and there was no insurance on it, the insurance company of the other drover are coming after me.  I realize that I made two very bad choices here, such as not getting my tag, and cancelling the insurance.  But, my question is, is there anyway for these people to take the responsibility of THEIR accident?  What can I do to help myself in this situation?


I am sorry to hear about your problem. If the insurance company has already filed suit against you, you will probably need to retain an attorney as soon as possible to respond.

If the insurance company itself has just contacted you (the adjuster for the other driver), it is possible that you can work directly with them but be careful on what you say or do.

You will need to gather ALL of the evidence that you have regarding the sale of the car and who it went to. Their names, date of sale, address, receipts, EVERYTHING! That will help the insurance company and the Police in tracking down the responsible parties. You also need to get together any evidence you have regarding where you were the night of the accident and if there are any witnesses that could verify your whereabouts.

While it is important to notify the department of motor vehicles when you sell or transfer a vehicle, failure to do that right away does NOT automatically put you at fault for anything that happens afterwards. The fact of the matter is ... YOU were NOT driving the vehicle and should be able to prove it.

Hope this helps!

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
....Division of US Insurance Information LLC  

Insurance Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Kevin Hromas


I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.


After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Past/Present Clients
Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters

©2017 All rights reserved.