Insurance Law/what will happen?

Question
Ok, so I hope you know the answer to this. and if you can I need an answer based on current laws, policies ect.

Ok, right now, I have auto insurance with Century 21. I missed a payment and they added a $15 late charge. I can handle that. But when I called them to pay my payment plus late charge they doubled the payment to $182 and some cents! And there is no way I can do that. And it will cancel on the night of the 25th.

So what I did was to call another company: Progressive, and get a quote. I still don't have any money to pay till March. Which means for about 3 days, Feb 26th, 27th and 28th I won't have insurance.

So anyway, on the phone talking to Progressive, they asked me if I am insured now. I said yes. And I am FOR NOW. But they didn't ask and I didn't tell them, about the lapse in coverage later in the month.

So what I want to know is this: Come March 1 when I do pay Progressive, if they should ever find out that my coverage lapsed, what will happen? Will they drop my coverage? Will they go up on my rates or tell me what a bad girl I am and let that be the end of it?

P.S. I am making a point of NOT driving for those 3 days without insurance. I do realize what a dangerous practice that is. And I live in Florida.

Answer
Joyce,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Century 21 was probably billing you for the past due payment as well as for the current month so that is why it looked like it was doubled.

The requirement to have insurance is premised on what are called "financial responsibility laws" passed by most states and simply mean that you are required to have liability insurance to cover other drivers if you are at fault in a wreck with them. If you don't drive ... you don't have to have insurance.

It sounds like you answered the questions truthfully when asked by Progressive so you don't have worry about them rescinding the policy based on any mis-statements from you. You might let them know that you won't have the funds available until you get paid and many times they will just bill you for it.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WINDŽ Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas