Insurance Law/auto accident claim collection from afni

Question
My daughter was in an auto accident last year, not her fault.  The other driver left the scene before she could obtain their info.  It was late at night and she was alone while there were two people in the other car.  They filed a claim with their insurance company.  They must have taken down her plates as the insurance company has a third party collections company, AFNI, Inc., trying to collect damages from her.  No police report was filed. Her vehicle seemed ok except a crushed front hood, but died two days later due to radiator injuries. Her car was totaled but was old and she had let the insurance lapse.She never received any other notices or  info.  My questions are:  is this a scam by AFNI, Inc,  what recourse does she have and it seems a suit was filed in which she received no notice and now can not register a vehicle until this is settled.  she is a college student with few funds.  Any help you cam give to resolve this is appreciated.

Answer
Skye,

I am sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. The reality is that you may need to go ahead and retain an attorney in this matter because of the circumstances.

In the meantime, you may consider a few things:

Obtain all of the information from this "AFNI" company regarding who they represent and the full basis for their subrogation attempts. They will have to tell you which insurance company they purchased the claim from and all of the facts of that claim. With that information, turn around and file a claim against the driver of the other car with their insurance company! That insurance company should never had paid the claim without investigating the facts and that would have included talking to you tp get your side of the story. Even though it is late in the process, you might file a police report in order to get your side of the story in place first. If the other people left the scene of the accident without providing their insurance information, there might have been a  criminal violation on them for leaving the scene of an accident.

I don't know who this AFNI is but would question anything that they are telling you about not being able to register a vehicle until this is settled. I have never heard of that to be the case. It may be total BS that they are using to try to get you to pay up and if so, they may be violating some laws themselves.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, HCRI-R/C, CPIU, WIND(r) Umpire
Kevin Hromas & Associates
... A Division of US Insurance Information LLC
www.KevinHromas.com

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas