Insurance Law/State Farm Repair Verification

I had hail damage to my vehicle in 2011 which I filed a claim on and had fixed.  I went to my local agent to show them the damages were fixed- I thought I had to do that.  The agent looked out the window, said ok, and that was it.  Hail damage again this month and when I went to file this claim, they say the previous damage was not fixed.  The agent did not ask for receipts back then and through the years I threw them out.  I cannot get copies of the repair bills because that company is out of business.  If the agent 'does not remember' me from that day, showing the damages fixed, I am going to have to eat the old damage and they will only pay the new damage. I have retained full coverage on my vehicle, despite being paid off years ago, for just these instances. Do I have any other options for this situation?

Hi Mary-
I'd ask for a second or third look at the damage.  In the climate that we're in, it should be able to be determined whether the damage is from 3 years ago or is new damage.  The other thing would be to talk to your regular mechanic, who works on your car, and see if he will attest that the car didn't have any hail damage when you had work done on your car previously that you can show receipts for.

The other thing to try is going through your bank records from the time.  Since you would have had a deductible most likely, you would probably have a check or charge payable to the firm that did the repairs.

Good luck, let me know how it all works out. :)

Insurance Law

I am a licensed Property/Casualty agent in the state of Wisconsin, a Certified Insurance Counselor and a Certified Insurance Service Representive, with a 15+ year background in personal insurance underwriting. I am currently working in the Homeowners and Auto field, and was licensed in Life and Health insurance years ago. I can provide input if you will give me a "one paragraph what`s the story", however depending on the situation, do note that as policy forms and endorsements vary by the state, the information may be general and educational in nature.

20+ Years