Insurance Law/falling power line pole on parked vehicle

Question
Just the other day a live powerline fell on my parked vehicle. I live on a dead end street and this is where I park my vehicle, on the other side of the fence is a compound dwelling with residents. An eighteen wheeler was driving and the powerline wires got caught in the truck, snapped the the pole and it all fell on my vehicle. This damaged the rear window completely and dented up the hatch back door. I dont have insurance on the vehicle as it is out of commission, I will be picking up the police accident report and getting with the insurance company. I need to know what steps to take to receive maximum benefits from this incident?

Answer
Hi-
Since the vehicle is out of commission, it is possible that the damage to the vehicle will now cause it to be a total loss.  The amount would be based on the actual cash value (market value less depreciation), so don't get your hopes up that this will be a big windfall.  You would need to make a claim against the insurance of the truck driver, so you could start by checking around for market value of the vehicle in your area.  The adjuster will do the same, and average them out.  Hope this helps. :)

Denise  

Insurance Law

Denise