Insurance Law/Hurrican Sandy

Question
Hi I have a home that were working on , During the hurricane a tree fell and hit my house . the insurance company came out and they want to only replace that side of the house with siding . the problem is its the old aluminum siding that cant be match . they would like to give us an aluminum panel then paint the one side .
I know there is a line of sight law in ct if you can see 2 sides and it don't match they will have to replace it all . Is this true

Answer
Hi Jessie-
I looked on line, and this is what I found about the recently passed law in your state:

"...Connecticut’s newly enacted statute requires that “[w]hen a covered loss for real property requires the replacement of an item or items and the replacement item or items do not match adjacent items in quality, color or size, the insurer shall replace all such items with material of like kind and quality so as to conform to a reasonably uniform appearance.” Conn. Gen. Stat. § 38a-316e (2014)".

My question is that if this damage occurred prior to this law being in effect, that technically they are not under any legal onus to follow it, so you may be out of luck if it happened during Hurricane Sandy, which I believe was last year. I'm not an attorney, but you should certainly ask your insurance company regarding this statute, and why they aren't following it, and let them respond as to the reason.

Hope this helps.

Denise  

Insurance Law

Denise