Insurance Law/passenger in a car accident

Question
I was passanger in a car accident and the driver was not at fault.and I was told that since I did not live with the driver and I don't have car insurance my self. that at the residence where I live has car insurance is who I am covered by.Is this true please explain.

Answer
Barbara,

The policy which SHOULD provide coverage for any injuries you sustained would be the liability policy of the driver that caused the initial wreck. That is the first avenue you should pursue but only if you actually had verifiable injuries.

If the driver in whose car you were riding had "un-insured motorist" coverage on THEIR policy, you may have some coverage there if the other driver had no insurance ... regardless of fault.

I am not real clear on your last statement regarding "being covered by the policy at the place where you live" as that doesn't apply. You were NOT a 'named insured' on that policy so why would you think you should be covered by something you didn't pay for?

Look first for the policy of the driver that caused the wreck as they are required to have liability insurance. That would be your best option.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND® Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
… A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas