Insurance Law/Waiver of Subrogation

Question
Greetings

Is it possible to add a Waiver of Subrogation on a Property policy and Liability policy? If yes what would be the benefit to the landlord?

Thank you
Tony

Answer
While it may be possible to have an endorsement to that effect, the reality is that few Carriers would agree to it since it precludes them from pursuing legitimate subrogation efforts where that might be appropriate.

The better avenue to address something like this for the landlord's benefit would be in the wording of the lease itself. It may be that language like that would be considered "unconscionable" and not enforceable since that type of clause would be extremely one-sided. You would likely need an attorney to draft the lease agreement in the state where it would be used.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND® Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
… A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas