You are here:

Insurance Law/Uninsured driver


Suppose an uninsured driver, not living in my home, drives my vehicle and gets into an accident.
Is my vehicle covered? Is the other vehicle covered under their no-fault insurance? What if they are uninsured?
Is the driver of my car covered for injuries? the driver of the other vehicle?
Is other property damage covered?
I live in Michigan, outside of Detroit

Hi!  I'm not from Michigan, but I can tell you how somewhat how auto insurance works.

First, since it's your vehicle, it is your auto insurance that would respond in the accident.  Michigan is unique in that damage to vehicles also comes under the No fault system of coverage.
Your state has No Fault coverage.  Here is a link to the requirements

As I understand it, if the other party is uninsured, they can't come to you for damages, because they have to have their own No Fault coverage by Michigan law.

I'm not an attorney, but as I see it, if you have a Michigan auto policy, depending on what types of No Fault coverage you purchased, your drivers injuries should be covered, and the damage to your vehicle may be.  

Sorry I can't be of more help.


Insurance Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I am a licensed Property/Casualty agent in the state of Wisconsin, a Certified Insurance Counselor and a Certified Insurance Service Representive, with a 15+ year background in personal insurance underwriting. I am currently working in the Homeowners and Auto field, and was licensed in Life and Health insurance years ago. I can provide input if you will give me a "one paragraph what`s the story", however depending on the situation, do note that as policy forms and endorsements vary by the state, the information may be general and educational in nature.


20+ Years


©2017 All rights reserved.