Insurance Law/tree fallen and damaged my cars

can I file on my landlords homeowner insurance a storm came and a tree fell and crushed my two vehicles that were parked in my yard

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Unless the trees were already dead or a hazard AND you had expressed a concern about them to your landlord prior to the storm, I am afraid you are out of luck. The storm was considered an "Act of God" and the landlord had no control over it nor is that a factor that most leases cover. They are not responsible for damages caused by an event like that unless there is a clear case of negligence on their part. That is why you would have had to express a prior concern about the trees.

Wish I could give you better news but the reality is that stuff happens and it is not always someone else's fault.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND® Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
… A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas

I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.

After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters