Insurance Law/warranty valuation

I dropped an item I purchased. It is repairable. However, the item warranty is void if it is repaired or not the original "undamaged" product. The warranty provides for replacement or refund of the item purchased if it fails within 6 months. I am filing a purchase protection insurance claim through my credit card company. The question I have is how to claim the loss of the warranty or whether the warranty is valued/valuable in an insurance claim.

Generally, unless you paid extra for the warranty, there is no "value" over and above what you paid for in the item itself. The "warranty" that was included in the purchase is an "added value" that was already included in the purchase price by the manufacturer or retailer as an incentive to buy. You can probably buy the same item elsewhere for the same price with or without the "warranty" so you can see there isn't really a dollar value for it.

Hope this helps explain it little for you.

Kevin Hromas
JD, EGA, RPA, PLCS, CPIU, HCRI-R/C, WIND® Umpire/Appraiser
Kevin Hromas & Associates
… A Division of US Insurance Information LLC

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas

I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.

After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters