Insurance Law/Insurance Lapse on a Senior Citizen's Disabled Vehicle

Question
Good afternoon,
My 78yr old Mother who lives in Maryland has an old 1989 Mercedes whose insurance lapsed unknowingly in July 2015.

The car has not been driven in over 2 years and is currently undriveable (i.e. dead battery, flat tire, Engine needs repair). The registration is also expired (but she still has the tags)

What are her options in regards to any fees regarding Insurance COmpliance as I know Maryland will probably come after her even though the car has not been driven at all.

Should I purchase a policy today? or should I just turn the tags in? Donate the vehicle? I checked the MD MVA site and there is currently no flags or alerts on the vehicle. Obviously any fees for insurance violation this long would easily be more than the value of the car itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

Answer
Erik,

The purpose of financial responsibility laws (requirement to have car insurance) is to protect the general public and not necessarily the owner of the vehicle. If the owner (your mother) cannot drive and the vehicle has not been on the roadways, there hasn't been a condition met that fits the requirements of the basis for the statute. I would prepare an affidavit about these facts and, if you haven't power of attorney over your Mother's affairs, file that with the title whatever you decide to do - donate or sell. If no one in the family wants the vehicle, a private sale may be the best return because in a donation, you would only be able to deduct the "blue book value". That wouldn't be a lot.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas