You are here:

Insurance Law/life insurance


My father left me life insurance and my mother went down to the insurance company and forged my name getting them to issue the check to her. They should have obtained I D before issuing the check and my mother cashed the check. The insurance company said I had to get the money from the bank, but the bank said, I had to get the money from the life insurance company. Isn't the life insurance company liable to pay me the money because they issued it to the wrong person?

Your mother committed the crime of forgery.  You will need to call the police, and probably get an attorney.  I believe an attorney could indeed argue they had no right to issue the check to someone who was not the beneficiary.  Then she committed the crime by taking it the bank and forging your name.  You could try to do it pro se, on your own, but that depends on how savvy you are.

Good luck, sucks to have a mom like that.  


Insurance Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I am a licensed Property/Casualty agent in the state of Wisconsin, a Certified Insurance Counselor and a Certified Insurance Service Representive, with a 15+ year background in personal insurance underwriting. I am currently working in the Homeowners and Auto field, and was licensed in Life and Health insurance years ago. I can provide input if you will give me a "one paragraph what`s the story", however depending on the situation, do note that as policy forms and endorsements vary by the state, the information may be general and educational in nature.


20+ Years


©2017 All rights reserved.