Insurance Law/Is it good to allow the roof company to inspect the shingle roof and claim for the replacement of single roof?

My house roof has been for about 15 years. A roof company visits my house and says they can provide a free roof inspection. If they find problems, they can contact my home insurance and work with an adjuster so that my home insurance will approve the replacement of the entire shingle roof. The roof company say they have successfully helped several my neighbors to have their home insurance approving the replacement costs. Since I have not seen roof problems, are there any negative effects if the roof company contacts my home insurance to try to replace the entire shingle roof or this is a good opportunity for the home owner to save the potential costs? Thank you for your answer.

Keep in mind that a roofing company only makes money if they put on new roofs. That person that stopped by your home is likely a "salesman" and may not even work directly for the particular roofing company he reps at the moment.

If they are promising to "work with your insurance company", they may be illegally acting as a public adjuster without a license. (Quite common.) If they have promised to "absorb" your deductible, then they are committing insurance fraud and may be dragging you in to it as well.

I would NOT let someone up there without going along as well or your might very well end up with "manufactured damage" they create.

If you were home when the hailstorm hit, did you file a claim for damage to your car? Check around your house for signs of collateral damage to screens and gutters, that is where hail damage will show up as well.

If you want to have it checked out, go ahead and file a claim and the insurance company will send a qualified adjuster out to inspect. If there is damage, they will estimate the amount to replace the roof and issue you a check. At that point you can negotiate with multiple roofing companies to bid on your job, not getting stuck with the one who showed up at the door. Don't even show them the insurance company's estimate as that is between you and the Carrier and none of their business.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Hromas  

Insurance Law

Kevin Hromas

I am a licensed, executive general adjuster currently holding a Texas resident P&C license (614250), New Mexico non-resident all lines license (248774), Oklahoma non-resident P/F/M license (A299561), Florida non-resident P&C license (E117051) and a National Flood Insurance Program certification (06040100). My areas of expertise involve property and casualty issues in both residential and commercial policies with regards to claims practices and issues. I deal extensively with Lloyd's of London commercial policies and various domestic carriers for residential policies.

After a 20 year career as a General Contractor, I was employed by Allstate Insurance as an adjuster in Texas, holding various postitions within the property claims department. After leaving Allstate, I specialized in handling losses associated with major catastrophes through-out the country. (Hurricanes Isabel, Charlie, Wilma, Katrina, Ike, etc., hail storms, floods.) I am currently retained as an expert by multiple insurance defense firms in Texas for issues in litigation. I am also a certified Umpire for formal appraisals.

Member - Society of Registered Professional Adjusters Fellow - Council on Litigation Management Member - Property and Casualty Association Member - Texas Independent Insurances Adjusters Association Member - National Association of independent Insurance Adjusters Member - Houston Claims Association

Claims Magazine ( and then search 'Kevin Hromas' for a full listing of articles and quotes.),,

JD - University of Houston Law Center - 1992 BA - Southwest Texas State University - 1980 AA - South Plains College - 1977 PLCS - Personal Lines Coverage Specialist

Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's, London, Fulbright & Jaworski (Law Firm), Bracket & Ellis (Law Firm) Thamm & O'Briant (Law Firm) Sheehy, Ware & Pappas (Law Firm) Walker, Wilcox and Matousek (Law Firm) Financial Guarantee Underwriters