International Business/would like to import cofee from brazil

I have recently entered the import/ export industry and do not have much experience. I am looking to start my own import/export firm that specializes in importing and exporting alcohol coffee and olive oil. How would I go about finding a great coffee supplier in brazil and can you tell me a little about the process as I am very interested.Thanks

Hello Lou:
I take it you want to import packaged roasted coffee, in grains or ground.  Unless you are able to distribute large quantities, you probably will have to sell under the producer's brand.

To start, i suggest you attend coffee trade shows such as Coffee Fest ... many Brazilian smaller producers exhibit there, and you can compare their products and prices on the spot.  The site is

As far as the actual import process, U.S. Customs has materials on how to do that.  Coffee is food, more regulated than other items.

Depending on how much you know about importing in general, you may want to buy reference books ... a great source of used books is, where you can buy many titles for $3 each.  Be alert to the publishing date, stay with books from (say) 2005 and newer.

Hope this helps, all the best!
Rene C. Duvekot

International Business

Rene Christiaan Duvekot

Business in the USA for Brazilian clients.

Since 1982 I have been active in international consulting, trade and/or business related to Brazil, and have helped hundreds of clients with their needs in Brazil and/or the USA ... Website:

AmCham/SP - American Chamber of Commerce - S. Paulo, Brazil ... AmCham/Rio - American Chamber of Commerce - Rio de Janeiro ... ACSP - Associação Comercial de S. Paulo ... BACCF - Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce of Florida ... Mensa

MBA from University of Miami, 1982 ... Bachelor in Business Administration from University of Florida, 1972 ... 2 years at Getulio Vargas school of business (EAESP) (S. Paulo, Brazil) ... 12 years at Colégio Dante Alighieri (S. Paulo, Brazil)

Hundreds of small and medium-sized companies ... both Brazilian companies who we help in the USA as well as companies from all over the world who are interested in Brazil.