International Education/Differences In Education

I was hoping to find an expert for the English educational system as I imagine it might be most akin to how Americans approach it, but I will assume the French handle education around the same? I wanted to ask to what degree do European colleges specialize a students' education earlier than in America? I've been told that while American colleges keep subject matters general longer, in European colleges the subjects become more specialized much sooner? Perhaps even during their Freshman year?

Dear James,

I will disappoint you: it depends! But as far as France is concerned, students typically specialize quite late and the general knowledge they have gained at the end of highschool is widely considered as very good (at least two foreign languages, compulsory philosophy and scientific courses for everybody, etc.). For more information about studies and studying in France, please check the website

Best regards,

Etienne Cazin

International Education

Etienne Cazin

I am a specialist in French Higher education.

I have been working for the French national agency EduFrance/CampusFrance since 1999.

Agence CampusFrance (

Master's in Political Science.