Internet Appliances/Router without modem

I have a Macbook Pro 15 inch, and I live in a university dorm room, in which I connect to the internet via a ethernet cable which is on the wall of my room and which I plug into my laptop.

I wanted to add wifi access to my room, and so after being advised by a friend that the only thing I needed was a router and not a modem too, I went and bought a Belkin router. After plugging in the router to the cable, however, the router does not send out wifi signal. What am I doing wrong? Could you please give me a step-by-step guide as to what I should do?

Thank you very much,

Sorry for late reply.

Here are some pages for you:

All wifi routers require some setup completed.

I hope you will be able to set it right.

Internet Appliances

Mahendra Singh

I would like to answer questions related following: 1. IT Services such as Help desk, Hardware/Software/Programming for internet. 2. Business in Europe. 3. User/Demographic information. 4. Internet Programming languages such as ASP/PHP. 5. Servers : IIS, WebLogic. 6. Research based questions such as "What is the common use of internet in Europe and demographs"

I answer questions on various European sites which are Business/Demographics and other issues related to EU.