Internet for Beginners/Nomenclature

Question
QUESTION: Kevin
On my WIN98 screen, a variety of "bars" run across the top and
bottom of the display.  The exact content varies depending on thecurrent application. I would appreciate your educating me as to the correct names for these various bars so when dealing with other IT people, I can at least "talk the talk" even if I can't "walk the walk". I will use the bars present on your site

(http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=4&expID=124374&catID=3247)

as I formulate the questions.   
Beginning from the very top:

1. (Firefox icon) "Internet For Beginners - Understanding Computers - Computing/Technology - Mozilla Firefox"; at the extreme right the three choice buttons for minimum display, reduced/full display/ and cancel.

2. "Handling Options": File, Edit, View, History, Bookmark, Tools, Help

3. Five Icons: Back Page, Forward Page, Refresh Page, Stop Loading, and a house - somehow related to Firefox;
the "Eddress Box" showing the current URL, with dropdown menu option, and a Google Shortcut box. I generally just call this the Eddress bar, even though there's more than that there.

4. Icon: Firefox "Getting Started"; Icon "Latest Headlines"

5. Your page.

7. The very bottom line: WIN "START" Icon; Shortcut Icons; labeled buttons for the various currently accessible pages one can toggle between; box with icons for the currently downloaded-from-the-hard-drive programs available or in use, and at the extreme right, the current time. A very handy icon just before the clock, which I only see in WIN98, shows two little monitors which appear only when connected to the Internet; one lights up when sending data, the other when receiving. If not lit, nothing transacting; if not there, not connected to the Internet. Sorry to see them gone in later OS's.

6. Just above 7., a bar we've discussed before; you referred to it as the "Status Bar". It shows a "running commentary" on what is being downloaded - half the time being "doubleclick" and all the other damn tracking cookies being loaded/read. More about that in another thread. Also, regrettably missing in later OS's.

So, can you give me the proper names for these 7 "bars"?
Thanks.
DBRJ

ANSWER: Hi Dave,

1. I don't remember if the older version of Firefox has a "Title Bar" like they do in Internet Explorer, but I'm assuming you are using a more recent version. If that's the case, you should see a bunch of these "tabs" correct? You can just click through them and see the title (at least the first 15 or so characters. This is called the tab. If it's showing the entire title (by any chance in Firefox), it will be the "Title Bar". If it has a little x next to it (without the 3 buttons for minimize, restore and exit), then it's a "tab". Just want to confirm that since there's no screenshot and I think there is a way in Firefox to have the Title bar show.

2. I would call those menus. Example: File menu, Edit menu...

3. Those are your navigation buttons. The area itself where it has all those buttons can be referred to as the navigation toolbar.

4. That's most likely your Bookmarks toolbar. These bookmarks can be added there for easier/quicker access rather than manually going into your bookmarks and selecting them.

5. My Page? I assume the AllExperts webpage? You can just refer to it as the webpage. Most users should know what this is since it's right in front of them.

7. Why did you flip #6 and #7 around? I'm going by your numbers, so this is #7 LOL  I assume this is within Windows now and not Firefox? Do you just want to know what that area is called also or all the items you mentioned there? I usually refer to the bottom area there as the taskbar. It's where all the tasks and programs are usually located. And the separate section where the time and date is, is usually referred to as the system tray. That's usually where all the system run programs are located. The network status icons are not "gone" per se. It's still there but now instead of showing the lights to indicate activity, it just shows the network status (up or down). If it's down, you will get an x on the icon.

6. I'm not sure I understand what bar this is for the "running commentary". Don't know what that is. Are you talking about your Downloads folder in Firefox that shows all the files you downloaded and are currently downloading? To confirm, you can always access this in Firefox by holding down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and hitting the letter J

Kevin.

QUESTION: Kevin
         System Reminder
Landline/Modem     IBM Aptiva Desktop Computer    Windows 98   Internet Explorer  4.72.3110.0          Firefox  2.0.0.20          Acrobat 5.0

I'm comfortable with all your 1-5 replies. The #7/#6 "flip" was deliberate; I just thought it easier and less ambiguous to identify #7 as the bottom most bar, and THEN describe #6 as being just above it. "Taskbar" covers #7 and is indeed part of Windows; system "tray" is new to me.
That I experience "missing network status icons"  reveals my also having a second computer, still Landline/Modem, with Windows 7 and Explorer browser. (I have not yet been able to determine the Browser's model as I seem to only be able to find the shortcut icons, not the "parent" icon, to right click on for "Properties", as I could with my WIN98). You refer to the network status as being either "Up" or "Down". I presume by that you mean "Connected" or "Not Connected". My double icon is more informative. Flashing icons means "Connected and Communicating". Non flashing means "Connected but NOT Communicating". No icons means "Not Connected". When connected but not communicating for a long time  I am encouraged to refresh the page.
As I noted in the original question, you yourself labeled #6 as the "status bar", after I sent you photos of the monitor in an earlier communication. I'll elaborate on the "running commentary" when I reply to your answer to my third question "Status Bar Followup"
This might be an opportunity to address a question you must have in the back of your mind: If I have access to a more recent version of WIN and Explorer, why do I persist with my uncool WIN98? Because, when I purchased this system, it came with Lotus Smart Suite preloaded, and I now have almost 15 years worth of files and spread sheets, that work perfectly well in that system. Many of those files are on the old 1.44 MB floppy disks which my Aptiva handles. My system backup disk is a CD with all the programs on it, and there's no way I could select out - say, Lotus Word Perfect  - to install on another computer, assuming it would even be supported, let alone be allowed to download on a different motherboarded computer: license infraction. I routinely compile Lotus files of most of my e-mail communications - including those with you - and do not look forward to the inevitable day when I am no longer able to do it that way.
Thanks again for your patience and help .
On to the "Status Bar Followup" question.
DBRJ

ANSWER: Yes, I meant connected and disconnected when I say the network is up or down.

I highly recommend finding a way to have those Lotus files converted so they work with more recent applications. More of a preventative measure than anything else because if something does go wrong, at least you can still access your files.

Kevin.

QUESTION: (Sigh!) Yes - you're absolutely right. I've thought about "translating" many times - but with 15 years worth - which ones? I know 99% of them I'll never look at again. But I'm sure you've also had the experience of discarding a long unused item, only to find a year later that you could use it and there's no way to retrieve it. I do print out a lot of files, so there's some back up.
Again, your patience is appreciated.
DBRJ

Answer
I haven't used Lotus for a long time now but depending on which file, you can try saving them to a standard Microsoft Office format if possible. There might be an option to "save as" a Microsoft Word document. If you can't do that with the Lotus application itself, you will need to try using a converter, hopefully one that can do them in batches so you don't need to manually convert each and every file.

It is good to keep backup of all your files if you have the space for them but I don't recommend keeping them in an old outdated format where most current applications may not support it anymore.

Kevin.

Internet for Beginners

Kevin