Internet for Beginners/Memory questions for vlogging

I plan to start vlogging and uploading videos to YouTube.
When I started editing my first video I had a considerable amount of lag.
When I checked my system information, I realized I only have 2GB of memory.
My question is; is this most likely the culprit for the lag?
If so, what should I be looking for as far as memory goes if I plan to do video editing/uploading?

I am looking into either buying a new laptop or possibly another hard drive?  I'm totally clueless when it comes to requirements for this, so any help would be totally appreciated.  Looking for cheap options!

ANSWER: Hi Kate,

I would increase the memory to around 4GB or even 8GB if you are going for a newer laptop or desktop that supports it. Next thing is to get at least a dual core processor and a decent graphics card with its own built in memory. That should help speed up the processing time.

Let me know if you need additional details on this.

QUESTION: Thank you for the incredibly quick response.
I currently have a Dell Latitude 360.  I've been reading that anything above 4GB is sort of pointless on a machine like this.

Can you suggest a laptop that has both the dual core processor and a decent graphics card with the built in memory all in one?  Or is this a situation where I'm going to have to buy a graphics card and have it installed..or?  Like I said, I'm pretty lame when it comes to computers so if my questions are silly, please forgive me.

I'm looking to (hopefully) buy used and as cheap as I can go, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Kate,

I personally recommend buying a desktop since the graphics card on those are in a way better. Laptops have built-in video cards (not a separate one like desktops can have - which are optional for the most part). The reason you don't want built-in video is because it's usually sharing the physical memory from that 2GB or 4GB of RAM. By having it's own dedicated memory within the video card itself, tasks will be processed much quicker. This is not to say that laptops can't handle video processing, but at the price it takes, a desktop can do the job even better.

What price range are you looking at currently and does it have to be a laptop? I usually buy from so you might want to browse that site a little under the desktop and laptop sections. For your purposes, I would say go for at least 4GB of memory and 1TB of hard drive space. Most computers come with Windows 7 these days but if you get a 64-bit Windows 7 (vs a 32-bit) you can opt for more than 4GB (ex: 8GB). If you plan to run multiple resource intensive programs at once, bump it up to 8GB so you see no lag in performance.

Internet for Beginners

I`m familiar with Windows 95/98/2K/XP/7 problems and will try my best to assist you. Feel free to ask any software or hardware related questions.

I started using computers over 10 years ago and have grown to both love and hate it to say the least. I have studied computer programming and graduated with a bachelor's degree in computer science.

Bachelors in computer information science