Internet for Beginners/Hi Speed Internet Providers

H'lo again, Kevin
Obliged - and annoyed - to have to be FORCED to start thinking about Hi Speed Internet connection - and the additional half a grand annual bill it will bring. As you may recall, I am currently on land line copper modem, and until recently, have been able to live with the modest delays that entails. However, more and more "ordinary" content is containing so many bells and whistles - plus all the eavesdropping trackers - that some sites are effectively inaccessible. I also am beginning to suspect that the slower uptake may be leading to inaccurate transcriptions and programs freezing up. So here's the situation.
I am in western North Carolina in a mountainous and relatively rural location. As a result, there is no cable - let alone fiber - available. I do not think DSL is available, but if it were, could that be run over my copper phone cables, or would it require installing  a new cable?
My current ISP offers a wireless Hi Speed connection - but I suspect I may be too far away and have a mountain between me and their transmitter. I also don't know exactly how that works - I assume it's like Wi-Fi, where what each of us transmits is broadcast - not just between us, but 360 degrees - to The World - for anyone to intercept and "enjoy".
Next consideration is a Hughes' satellite connection. I can see how I would have a dish that would receive transmissions from their satellite, much like my satellite TV, but I don't understand how MY transmissions are made - surely not directly from me to the satellite. More likely like a cell phone, from me to a nearby ground antenna, then connected by land line to a huge Hughes' dish where it could be sent to the satellite.
Fill me in on how these things work - and any reassurance you can provide about security.

Yes, DSL should be using your copper phone lines. I'm not sure what internet service providers are available in North Carolina. What providers do you have nearby?

Satellite will work for almost anyone as long as they have a clear view of the sky. It's not the ideal way to connect online but if you have no other choice, it may be the only option.

Forget about how secure it is. Dial up is not even secure if you want to put it that way. In the end, it's up to you (as the user) to secure your connection and any activity you do online. This includes having an up-to-date antivirus, antispyware, firewall and patching any Windows exploits via Windows Update. If you want more security, then you should use secure connections when going online. One example of this is using a VPN. This is most widely used in the corporate world where users need to connect securely from their home to the work network. Or you can also look into using Cocoon to securely browse online. You can get get Cocoon at

Internet for Beginners

I`m familiar with Windows 95/98/2K/XP/7 problems and will try my best to assist you. Feel free to ask any software or hardware related questions.

I started using computers over 10 years ago and have grown to both love and hate it to say the least. I have studied computer programming and graduated with a bachelor's degree in computer science.

Bachelors in computer information science