Internet for Beginners/Laptop internet problem

I have a 2008 laptop that's not wifi ready. It doesn't have wifi.

How do I get an internet connection on it, and what are all the things I need to connect to the internet on my laptop.

Thank you.

Hi Kari - great question.

Assuming you have wi-fi wherever you'd like to use the laptop, home, library, coffeeshop, etc., all you'll need to get is a USB wireless adaptor

They're very affordable.  The most important thing is to make sure the equipment is compatible with your laptop and operating system.  In fact, you could probably take your laptop to your local electronics/computer store and they could recommend one for you.

I hope this helps - Ken

Internet for Beginners

Ken Ivey

If you are new to the Internet you may be anxious to give it the gas; or terrified to take your foot from the brake! Either way, with over 20 years on what is now called the information highway, I can steer you in the right direction. Are you ready? Let's hit the road!

I have over 20 years of practical experience with web-related issues, and some military computer training. I've worked for a computer manufacturer, and own a small technology company specializing in web-design, hosting, and internet media production. I am the webmaster of several sites, and e-newsletter editor for Rotary District 6760 which is comprised of 65 clubs throughout middle Tennessee.

I'd like to say a diploma from a revered educational facility hangs on my wall, and perhaps someday it will. In reality, everything I know has been self-taught, much of it done so in the hallowed halls of that venerable institution called "The School of Hard Knocks".