Internet for Beginners/Connecting laptop to my TV?

QUESTION: Hello Ken,

I'm a little embarrassed to be asking for help with this problem, but the truth is I'm pretty clueless when it comes to technology.  I know my way around a computer enough to search the web, do Facebook, etc., but connecting hardware, networking, and related things I am basically a great big dummy.  

Here is what I'm trying to do:  I want to hook my laptop computer to my TV so I can watch live streaming videos on a big screen.  I have a Samsung 60 inch flat screen that has USB ports, so I'm assuming that is how you do it.  But I'm sure it involves more than just plugging in a cable.  Can you help me figure it out?   Thanks!

ANSWER: Hi Gary-

If your computer has a HDMI port, it's a simple matter of plugging a cord into your TV.

If not - you'll need to determine what devices might work with your brand of laptop.  I'm not aware of any USB to TV connections, but check with your laptop manufacturer.

Another avenue would be to check out a CHROMECAST device.  This uses your home's wifi connection to stream video from certain applications to your television.  Visit for information.

I hope this helps - Ken

Thanks for your help! I've got a female port on the back of my laptop, it is for a 15 prong plug. Is that for an HDMI cable?  My TV is relatively new so I'm sure it has an HDMI port.  By the way, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron N7110, if that helps.  

So am I correct in assuming that if I can just plug in an HDMI cable from my laptop to the TV, my TV will become like an extra computer screen?  That sounds pretty simple, I think I can handle that.  

Yes, it looks like that laptop has an HDMI port, so with the correct cord it should be pretty much plug & play.

Here's a link to a support thread that talks about getting it on TV.

Have a great day - Ken

Internet for Beginners

Ken Ivey

If you are new to the Internet you may be anxious to give it the gas; or terrified to take your foot from the brake! Either way, with over 20 years on what is now called the information highway, I can steer you in the right direction. Are you ready? Let's hit the road!

I have over 20 years of practical experience with web-related issues, and some military computer training. I've worked for a computer manufacturer, and own a small technology company specializing in web-design, hosting, and internet media production. I am the webmaster of several sites, and e-newsletter editor for Rotary District 6760 which is comprised of 65 clubs throughout middle Tennessee.

I'd like to say a diploma from a revered educational facility hangs on my wall, and perhaps someday it will. In reality, everything I know has been self-taught, much of it done so in the hallowed halls of that venerable institution called "The School of Hard Knocks".