Internet for Beginners/Is it ethical for a US

Is it ethical for a US citizen that lives in the United States to have an email account and or website located in a data center in Reykjavik Iceland, because that way the authorities in the United States canít access this? Is it ethical that uses an .IS domain name registered with an Icelandic domain register,because that way US court canít seize the domain name and interfere with his website and email account. Because all his activities are legal under Icelandic law, the authorities in Iceland will leave him alone. I am sending this email from an email account that has a .EU domain that is hosted in a data center in Reykjavik Iceland for the same reason. The US courts canít seize the .EU domain name, because is registrar by a foreign-based registrar not under any obligation to honor US court orders like VeriSign.

That's the best question I've had all week.

Is it ethical?  There's no way to answer that correctly, as the answer is relative to the askers moral code.  As the implications aren't declared, perhaps the better question is "Is it legal?"  And yes, it is.

I hope this helps - Ken

Internet for Beginners

Ken Ivey

If you are new to the Internet you may be anxious to give it the gas; or terrified to take your foot from the brake! Either way, with over 20 years on what is now called the information highway, I can steer you in the right direction. Are you ready? Let's hit the road!

I have over 20 years of practical experience with web-related issues, and some military computer training. I've worked for a computer manufacturer, and own a small technology company specializing in web-design, hosting, and internet media production. I am the webmaster of several sites, and e-newsletter editor for Rotary District 6760 which is comprised of 65 clubs throughout middle Tennessee.

I'd like to say a diploma from a revered educational facility hangs on my wall, and perhaps someday it will. In reality, everything I know has been self-taught, much of it done so in the hallowed halls of that venerable institution called "The School of Hard Knocks".