Internet/Network Security/WIFI SECURITY

Question
Hello,

I use a Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, and Firefox for a browser. I connect to the Internet with a Verizon Jetpack. Lately, when I click on the The bars symbol to connect to the Internet, I there is another connection option besides mine. It's labeled NetGear. It also states that information sent over this connection may be sen by other people.

Could this be a security problem?

Thanks,Jim

Answer
Hey Jim -

The 'netgear' connection you are seeing is another wifi connection that is in your area.  When you connect to a low secured or non-secured system, anything you do on that could be seen by another person.  However, you would get the same message when you connect to your Verizon Jetpack.  

What it would come down to is:  if you're connecting on your jetpack, then the connection is being routed through to Verizon's network.  that other connection is just showing you what other networks are available. There shouldn't be any security concerns as long as you keep using your jetpack connection.

Internet/Network Security

John Palmer