Internet/Network Security/computer security

I have this free antivirus through my school, and I got to thinking after some strange incidents.

I was surfing the web, and I got this I

[B]Warning: Questionable website.....(something about spam and URLS)

Location: ********

Your organization's policy is set to warn on websites categorized as Hacking.

Return to the page you were previously viewing.[link]

Proceed to this website at your own discretion.[link]

Note: This action will be logged.

what does it mean as my organization's policy?

and that this action is logged? I'm not too sure, and was wondering if was possible if my school could be monitoring my activities on the web at home? I looked through the anti-virus log history, and nothing.

I then was looking at the installed programs on my computer and saw the anti-virus, but I also saw[B] Remote Management System[/B] as well.  I don't know what to make of this.

Can you shed some light on the issue?

As the software was provided by the school, it's hard to say if they have any kind of remote monitor system that could be logging your history.  The remote management system could be a piece of software that also came from the school, and would only be activated when you needed to call their helpdesk for any support, and if it's reputable, it would ask for your permission before running.

If you want something that will not be at risk of being monitored, what I would suggest is uninstalling that program from your school, and install one of the freely available AV programs on the web.  2 options that I would suggest would be Avast! and AVG.

Internet/Network Security

John Palmer

I am an IT security consultant that specializes in edge and core firewall / security deployments in Juniper, Palo-Alto and Cisco firewalls. I can help answer questions about general network security, routing, policy, IPSec, VPN's and edge/core deployment setups. I will not help with : Test Questions, Essay questions, homework, or any questions that could be answered with a simple google search.

I have 15 years technology background, with 5 years specifically in network engineering and security. I have certification in Juniper and Palo Alto, and currently work as a security consultant in design and deployment of firewall and routing systems.