Internet/Network Security/security of Mac home network - ?

Question
Hi John -

I recently had a Mac guru at my house, installing a printer & Ooma.  He asked if I had ever thought about having a network, so I could use other goodies (iPad, Apple TV, etc).  I said, 'No, I prefer just having a computer, connected directly to cable - that's more secure.'  He replied that the latest iteration of a Mac home network was virtually bulletproof -  in fact, even more secure that being plugged in to cable.  Your thoughts?

Thanks -  Mark

Answer
Nothing is bulletproof nor will it ever be.  What's "secure" is secure until it isn't.  Professionals within the security community don't consider anything as being "secure".

On the practical side, protecting one's self from what one can see seems less stressful, if not easier.

On the other hand, if Apple or that employee are willing to provide an explicit, written guarantee that says they pay you a fine in the event of a breach (and that you get to determine whether said breach occurred) it might be worth looking at.

- John

Internet/Network Security

John Crout