Internet/Network Security/Modem/Router issues

Question
Hello.
I'm experiencing extremely slow internet speed (1.4mb/s) compared to what i am paying for approx 24mb/s and am subscribed to ADSL+. I have a modem/router that is approximately 3-4 years old. It is connected to the socket and main computer via cables about 3m apart. Could the age of the modem/router be causing slow internet speeds to both the main (wired) computer and wireless devices or would it be more of a provider issue?

Thank you

Answer
It could be the modem, it could be the lines themselves from the provider, could be the lines inside your home.

If you have the option to replace the modem as a test, that would be the first step.  If that doesn't do anything, I'd suggest calling the phone/DSL provider and have them run a check on the line to see if it's got noise.

Internet/Network Security

John Palmer