Internet/Network Security/phone number loginn in google mail.

Question
I don't know why,when I want to log inn in my mail, I receive a window from google, obliging me to enter my phone number. Is this a spyware? Also, why obliging people to put they phone numbers on gmail, giving to hackers so much opportunities?
Thanks

Answer
This isn't under my category, but I will answer for you:

This is not spyware or malware.  Google asks for this in case your account gets locked out or compromised, so they can text/call you with a code to regain access to your account.

it is not malicious in any way, it is just further security for your google account.

Internet/Network Security

John Palmer