Internet/Network Security/PUP installation message displayed

Question
I have a problem with my computer. The following message pop ups about twice a day in a dialogue box:
User Account Control
Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?
Program name: Setup.exe
Verified Publisher: ClientConnectLTD
File Origin: Hard drive on this computer

I believe the file is located in the temp directory of my C Drive. When I delete it, it seems to reappear the next time the above message is displayed. I think that a PUP would be installed called Search Protect if I clicked ‘yes’, so obviously I click ‘no’.

I reckon that the problem started when I downloaded some free software and the above program was included in the bundle. When I look at the list of programs installed on my computer I do not find ClientConnectLTD or Search Protect, nor do I have any of the problems that people report with it, such as adverts appearing on a browser. I suspect the software is not installed, however, for some reason I keep on getting this nuisance message inviting me to do so.

I have considered performing a roll back but unfortunately I do not find any restore points listed. This could be because I have not created any, it could also be because since I have had the problem I have just upgraded the operating system from 8 to 8.1.

How can I get the message to go away permanently?

Am I likely to have any other difficulties because of this situation?

Please let me know if you would find any further information useful. I should like to thank you in advance for your kind assistance with this matter.

Answer
This is indeed a frustrating one. PUP/Browser Hijackers are nefarious and annoying. While they appear to only modify your homepage and/or search options in your browser, they can be stealing keystrokes and other data you probably don't want getting out. I have included a link in the bottom for further instructions, but basically it comes down to 1) uninstalling any software you don't recognize, 2) resetting your browsers configurations, and 3) running an AV/Anti-Malware scan. The link that I have included includes links to popular scanners that are known to be able to get rid of this particular piece of software.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanni

Bryan

Internet/Network Security

Bryan Maynard