Internet/Network Security/Tracking and Tracing Hackers.

Question
Dear Bryan

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_hosting_service

Will this be the best approach for tracking and Tracing Hackers who have attacked web sites ?.

The Consumer Who knows about that his/her web applications have been attacked by Hackers can approach the Web Hosting service company who have hosted the web applications (Website content and Database) in their data center ?.

The consumer will pay the necessary fees to the Web site Hosting company for these special service of tracing and tracking Hackers.

Will the Web Hosting co help in this regard for tracking and tracing Hackers ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
If you have a website that you know has been hacked, you will need to contact the hosting company to get logs for the time frame that you believe the action occurred. While you may or may not have to pay for the information, it is likely not all you need. Often, attackers use numerous proxies in an attempt to hide their identities. Just because the hosting company can give you the IP address of the attacker, does not mean that the address in question maps directly back to the person responsible. It takes the ability to back track the various proxy points to locate the originating place. I highly recommend that if something malicious was done resulting in a loss of some sort that you contact law enforcement. They have the tools, both technical and legal, to be able to handle a situation such as this.

Internet/Network Security

Bryan Maynard