Internet/Network Security/Online backup

Question

For a year or so I subscribed to Carbonite and had no particular issues.  It worked as intended.  My only tiny concern was just a vague uncertainty about whether I could really, really depend on it in a crunch.  I don't think you can actually go to your Carbonite back-up and open up a particular folder and file and see if it's all there or if you can read it and so on.  In contrast, I back up to an external hard drive connected to my computer, and I can go check anything I want at anytime.

But I would really like to have an additional back up on the cloud that I could control.  I was thinking about simply e-mailing myself with various back-up folders attached.  But then I would have to unzip them to download them and review them.  So my question is there any place where I could back up these files and just go open and read them or whatever just as if they were on my own hard drive?

Art

Answer
For what you describe, either I'm using (or have used) Google Drive, USB hard drives and any SATA drive together with a USB-connected SATA drive bay.  

I don't have a recommendation for the latter.  I use what I use because it's the only brand I found when I needed one but the mechanical design is amateurish and their warranty is the pits.

Have you tried Google Drive?

Internet/Network Security

John Crout