Internet/Network Security/How can I run internet explorer 6 in windows 7 ?

Hi Bryan Maynard,

In am using windows server 2003 and my application server run visual studio dot net 2003. It's a based application. The application run only internet explorer (IE) 6.0 version. Many of our client want to windows 7 for their client OS. But how can I install windows 7 but internet explorer (IE) 6.0 version will be mandatory. Please give me idea how can I solve the problem. I am waiting for your reply.

With thanks & best regards
Ahmed Abdur Razzak

Good day, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you with your question. I will answer it to the best of my ability. Windows 7 ships (installs with) IE 8, as such, downgrading the browser to a version prior to this release is NOT supported by Microsoft. This is not to say it cannot be done, just that if something goes wrong, you will be unable to receive support from Microsoft in regards to any problems you may have along the way. Through my research related to your topic, I have been unable to find any way that anyone has found to install IE 6 on Windows 7 directly. The install file simply will not run on anything higher than Windows XP. However, virtualization is one possible solution to your problem. Either application virtualization with something such as ThinApp from VMware or App-V from Microsoft would allow you to bundle IE 6 from an XP machine and have it run as a virtual application on Windows 7. You could also run virtual machines for web browsing, but this could be complex for most users, and more cumbersome than ideal. Lastly, there are tools that web developers use to test their code on modern browsers against legacy rendering engines. An example would be IETester ( You may also be able to try IE 8's compatibility mode on your legacy application which would allow you to run Windows 7 as is.

Here are a couple of resources that I used to formulate my answer to your question, please review at your earliest convenience. I hope you find a solution that will work for you in the future.

IT World
Site Point

Bryan Maynard

Internet/Network Security

Bryan Maynard

I can answer questions pertaining to computer systems (design, architecture, engineering, troubleshooting, etc), as well as networking, and all things related to IT security. I can also answer novice to intermediate programming questions in PHP, PowerShell, VBScript, C#/ASP.NET.

I am a professional with over 12 years of experience in the IT industry. I have worked extensively with data center systems, including numerous types of servers, storage arrays, connectivity technologies and virtualization platforms.

I am a member of my local CISSP chapter and maintain membership with both ISC2 and ISACA.

I have a bachelor's degree in network security and am working towards a master's degree in information assurance. I also hold numerous professional certifications including the CISSP, CISM, ITILv3, VCP, MCITP (Server 2012), CEH, and Linux+.