Internet/Network Security/Possible phishing attack

Good day John

A guy recently responded to an ad that I placed online, saying that he wanted to send me a pdf document containing an offer and proposal but it fails to go through by email. He claimed that he saved it in his skydrive and I can access it from there by clicking on the included link. Idiot that I am, I did so. The up-to-date, free version of Avast then immediately popped up a warning that it had blocked a threat.

I am now worried about the integrity of my system, because, although Avast intercepted the attack, I'm not sure that something did not in fact download to my machine. How can I make absolutely sure that my system is not infected? I don't want to do any on-line banking on this machine unless I'm 100% sure that it hasn't been infected.

Thanks and regards.
Nico Smith

I agree; it sounds ominous but don't be too hard on yourself.  Bad guys succeed because they use effective tactics.

Do you still have the file? If so, upload it to

Have them scan it even if they tell you they've received the file before.  I'd appreciate it if you'll send me the MD5 hash sum, of the file you upload.  In case you don't know what this is, the page with results will make clear, what the MD5 is.

- John  

Internet/Network Security

John Crout

Computer/IS Security, Online Safety, Incident Management

20 years supporting Windows networks and 10 years supporting Linux networks.

Association for Computing Machinery; Information Systems Security Association (ISSA); United States Coast Guard Auxiliary; ISC2; ACM

Master of Public Health in Epidemiology and Biostatistics (Miller School of Medicine); Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Computer Engineering Option (University of Miami);