Internet Safety/Internet Saftey with online accounts

Question
Companies want you to go paperless.  Companies like utility companie and banking institutions.

In your opinion, is it secure to go paperless and just read my statements on their website or just continue to get the paper statements.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Answer
Dear Sallie,

Just as everything in life, there are no guarantees. Your best bet is to contact those institutions you are considering going paperless with and ask them to both give you a Q&A overview of their cyber security practices, Also request they send you a copy of their cyber security and internet safety policies. Boring reading, but if they actually have one to send you, there is a pretty good chance they have spent some time and money making sure their customer's information and finances are safe. Regarding paper statements, they are no secure than online banking as the hard copy of statements are rarely immediately destroyed after review. Lastly, I would ask a couple of community members in your area and see what experiences they have had.

Its a great question you ask, but there is no definitive answer. For me personally, I prefer online and paperless because I get so much junk mail over the week that there are times I miss important letters/bills because they are stuck hidden in between.

Good Luck,
Doc Nuccitelli  

Internet Safety

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli