Internet Safety/Teacher's personal e-mail

I have a question about e-mail between High school students and teachers. My daughter's teacher gave out his work e-mail and work contact information at the beginning of the year. I found that helpful.

However, yesterday, after finals, my daughter told me that he wrote in her yearbook his personal home e-mail address and a note encouraging her to keep in touch. She is a sophomore. Not a young woman gong off to college. She also told me that he did the same to other girls as well but not the boys in the class.  

I am finding this a little creepy. Am I over reacting? This man is listed in the phone book so if down the road she wanted to get a hold of him she would not have a problem. I could see it if she was a former student but should a teacher who may indeed be her teacher again next year, be giving out his personal e-mail? I worry that this is his way of having private conversations with my daughter. Your thoughts?

Dear Beth,

Great question and not at all creepy. is a little creepy, but that does not mean impending online sexual predation. Given the basic demographic information offered in your question, I would first contact your daughter's school and inquire about having sent to you the school's internet and social media policies and guidelines. Personally, I do not think it is a good idea for a grown adult to be disseminating his email address or any contact information to a sophomore. However, if your daughter's school does not have educator rules and guidelines covering social media exchange with the student body, its possible that it is acceptable and not considered problematic. Of the 20 or so school officials I spoke with over the last couple months, maybe 30-35% of them have guidelines. If the school does not, I would make it a plan to attend the next PTA meeting and get the ball rolling for the next school year.

Feel free to spend a little time at my Internet Safety website and all educational information is free and does not require having to disclose any personal information. The site is (no m) and simply go to the base of any page you want to print or download and click on the green pdf/print button. Lastly, I wish there were more Moms out there like you who actually think about the "creepy" things.

Doc Nuccitelli  

Internet Safety

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli

Cyber bullying, cyber stalking, cybercrime, cyber terrorism, online sexual predators, child predators, Internet safety, psychopathology, criminal & forensic psychology and cyber psychology. I cannot answer questions on the technological aspects of Information and Communicatons Technology.

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli is a New York State licensed psychologist and certified forensic consultant. He completed his doctoral degree in clinical psychology in 1994 from the Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago, Illinois. In 1997, Dr. Nuccitelli became a licensed psychologist in New York State (License # 013009.) In 2006, he received the Certified Forensic Consultant designation from the American College of Forensic Examiners (Identification # 103110.) Dr. Nuccitelli has developed a theoretical construct, iPredator, which encapsulates all online users who use Information and Communications Technology to abuse, harm, steal from or disparage other online users. His theory of iPredator is recognized by the American College of Forensic Examiners International.

American College of Forensic Examiners International

The Forensic Examiner

Dr. Nuccitelli is a New York State Licensed Psychologist and certified forensic consultant.