Internet Safety/chatrooms

Question
Hi, I'm in middleschool so this is where things start to get rough for me. Last time I used this sight I was disappointed, but this time I hope you will actually be helpful. So I love to be social and meet new people online but sometimes that can be hard because I always have to be extremely careful! I was wondering if there are any places or games or whatever where I can meet kids, not creepy stalkers.

Answer
iPredator
iPredator  
Dear Julia,

Good morning and Happy Saturday from New York. First, here is a link to a recent Common Sense Media article that offers what they call "Kid Safe" search engines. I also pasted here their "Kid Safe" link for social networking.    

Common Sense Media [Trusted Source] Link: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/kid-safe-browsers-and-search-sites

Social Networking for Kids: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lists/social-networking-for-kids

Now that I have given you links to help you find ways to meet kids online and not "creepy stalkers", here is a little insight for you to think about.

1. You are asking me this question set to "public" meaning anyone can read your question and learn a little about you, the questioner. If you are in fact who you say you are, and not a disguised creepy stalker, your question tells me you are in middle school and a female, given your name is Julia.

2. Now that I know you are in middle school and a girl, I also know that your parents, your teachers or other adults did not know where to suggest finding "kid safe" sites to you. The other possibility is that your parents, your teachers or other adults do not know you are online even asking these questions or you think adults are "clueless" so why bother even asking them.

Just these two points alone would encourage a "creepy stalker" to target you. He would quickly think there are no adults monitoring your online world by coming to a Q&A site to ask your questions, your a girl and either a Tween or Teen. The #1 group "creepy stalkers" target are 11-14 yr. old females.

A bit of advice to consider in your online world. Never disclose your name, gender, home address, email address, social profile usernames or age. Especially in chat rooms as that is still the #1 forum "creepy stalkers" go to find discouraged or non internet safety practicing tweens and teens. If you think adults are clueless, so why bother asking, please know that not all of us are clueless and it's okay to ask. Lastly, if you use Instagram, Snapchat or Keek, be careful what you share as "creepy stalkers" have fake profiles there as well.

I hope I didn't disappoint you this time and my tips have been helpful. Assuming again, you are who you say you are, you may have a future in Digital Forensics or the field I'm trying to create I call Cyber Criminal Psychology. Just the fact that you even ask your question means you know about what I call the Darkside of Cyberspace. lol...now we need to get the "clueless" adults of the world to learn about the Darkside of Cyberspace so they can work on stopping their fellow "creepy stalkers".

Good Luck,
Michael Nuccitelli, Psy.D.
NYS Licensed Psychologist
CEO, iPredator Inc.
Ph: 347-871-2416
Website: https://www.ipredator.co/
Email: drnucc@ipredatorinc.com  

Internet Safety

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli