Internet Television / Video Streaming/Verizon FIOS, recording

Question
I would like to be able to record TV shows, preferably by scheduling the recording, not having to be present to press record when the show comes on.  I have Verizon FIOS and I am not interested in their DVR or Tivo, etc as I do not want a monthly fee.  Essentially, I'd like a stand alone dvr or dvd recorder that can act as VCRs used to and be programmed to record a specific channel at a specific time.  What would you suggest that will work with FIOS (brands/model?)?  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Gregory

Easy! This can be accomplished using any old computer with sufficient hard drive space. There are all kinds of great resources available online with information on how to set it up, and they go into far more detail than I could. My favorite tutorial for this, and many other life-simplifying ideas, is Life Hacker. Their article on creating a DVR is at http://lifehacker.com/165963/hack-attack-build-your-own-dvr

Check it out. I think it is exactly what you're looking for.

Tedd

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams