Internet Television / Video Streaming/Verizon FIOS, recording

I would like to be able to record TV shows, preferably by scheduling the recording, not having to be present to press record when the show comes on.  I have Verizon FIOS and I am not interested in their DVR or Tivo, etc as I do not want a monthly fee.  Essentially, I'd like a stand alone dvr or dvd recorder that can act as VCRs used to and be programmed to record a specific channel at a specific time.  What would you suggest that will work with FIOS (brands/model?)?  Thank you.

Hi Gregory

Easy! This can be accomplished using any old computer with sufficient hard drive space. There are all kinds of great resources available online with information on how to set it up, and they go into far more detail than I could. My favorite tutorial for this, and many other life-simplifying ideas, is Life Hacker. Their article on creating a DVR is at

Check it out. I think it is exactly what you're looking for.

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams

I can answer questions on most types of legal video streaming options, such as Netflix, Roku, Internet-enabled TVs, Hulu, etc. Out of respect for copyright holders, I will not answer questions regarding BitTorrent or other peer-to-peer sharing, where content creators are deprived of their due royalties. I can only answer questions from the viewpoint of a consumer of video services. I have been getting a lot of questions from the standpoint of someone wishing to create content. THIS IS OUTSIDE MY EXPERTISE. My expertise is also limited to knowledge of streaming services and the content available on them, how to subscribe to them, etc. I CANNOT assist with hardware configuration questions.

I have been a cord cutter for over 5 years. My current setup includes a Roku HD box, a PC attached to my computer and surround sound system, and subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. I dropped Cox Communications as my cable TV provider and am saving over $100 a month.

Tulsa World

Masters of Organizational Management, University of Phoenix
Bachelors of Psychology, John Brown University