Internet Television / Video Streaming/Roku

Question
QUESTION: What pieces of equipment do I need to start Roku?

Will my computer be attached to the TV?

Thanks

ANSWER: You don't even need a computer to use Roku. It will attach directly to your TV via HDMI connection. The Roku does not come with an HDMI cable, though, so you would need to buy that separately. Also, I'm assuming you have WiFi. If not, you'd need a WiFi router. But that's it. If you have those, you can be up and running in about 5 minutes.

Tedd

QUESTION: I have a Cysco Linksys router will that work?  Does the quality of the router affect the results??  And darn I have to ask:  HDMI?? What is it?

Thanks
Barb

ANSWER: Yes, that router should do the job just fine. There are some routers that are specifically designed to optimize streaming video, but the difference in quality is hardly noticeable. HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface, but all you really need to know is that's the type of cable you need. It's a single cable that handles both audio and video, and provides the best quality type of connection, even more so than older component cables (the kinds with red, white and yellow connectors). You can get an HDMI cable anywhere... Target, Bust Buy, Amazon. Just don't pay too much for it. There are some that sell for upwards of $100, but you can also find them for $10, and it' a digital connection, so there is absolutely no quality difference between the $100 cable versus the $10 cable.

QUESTION: While I have your attention....

I see there's Roku 1, 2 and 3 and then there's a 'stick'

I don't do any gaming.  So which works best?  If I buy the 'stick' can I use it back and forth on different TV's in my house?  Or should I have a Roku box for each TV.  I only have two TV's.

Thank you in advance for all of your excellent advice.
Barb

Answer
If you don't do any gaming, then the Roku 2 should serve you just fine. I would recommend just getting two of those. They're not that expensive and it will quickly become a pain to swap the stick between your two TVs, especially since there is about a 5 minutes initialization process each time you plug it in.  

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams