Internet Television / Video Streaming/Roku and Internet

OK... I'm trying to understand all this Roku and internet stuff.

Do I have to have TV/cable set up to set up Roku?  Would Direct TV work?  

I know I have to have internet, What speed is best?

Thank you,

Hi Barb

No, you don't have to have either cable or Direct TV to use Roku. It serves more as a replacement for either of those. It is basically a way to stream content (movies, TV shows, concerts, short films, etc.) directly to your TV from the internet, without having to go through a content provider. Roku itself acts as the content portal, but it is decentralized, so you're not paying a subscription fee to a cable or satellite company. Once you hook up the Roku to your internet, you'll add channels. There are over 1000 available, some good, others pretty amateur. Many big name content providers, such as Netflix and Hulu, and many cable channels also make their content available directly through streaming devices such as Roku.

As for speed, obviously the faster the better, but realistically, you will have a perfect adequate viewing experience with anything greater than 3 MBps.

I hope that helps,

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams

I can answer questions on most types of legal video streaming options, such as Netflix, Roku, Internet-enabled TVs, Hulu, etc. Out of respect for copyright holders, I will not answer questions regarding BitTorrent or other peer-to-peer sharing, where content creators are deprived of their due royalties. I can only answer questions from the viewpoint of a consumer of video services. I have been getting a lot of questions from the standpoint of someone wishing to create content. THIS IS OUTSIDE MY EXPERTISE. My expertise is also limited to knowledge of streaming services and the content available on them, how to subscribe to them, etc. I CANNOT assist with hardware configuration questions.

I have been a cord cutter for over 5 years. My current setup includes a Roku HD box, a PC attached to my computer and surround sound system, and subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. I dropped Cox Communications as my cable TV provider and am saving over $100 a month.

Tulsa World

Masters of Organizational Management, University of Phoenix
Bachelors of Psychology, John Brown University