Internet Television / Video Streaming/Roku and Internet

Question
OK... I'm trying to understand all this Roku and internet stuff.

Do I have to have TV/cable set up to set up Roku?  Would Direct TV work?  

I know I have to have internet, What speed is best?

Thank you,
Barb

Answer
Hi Barb

No, you don't have to have either cable or Direct TV to use Roku. It serves more as a replacement for either of those. It is basically a way to stream content (movies, TV shows, concerts, short films, etc.) directly to your TV from the internet, without having to go through a content provider. Roku itself acts as the content portal, but it is decentralized, so you're not paying a subscription fee to a cable or satellite company. Once you hook up the Roku to your internet, you'll add channels. There are over 1000 available, some good, others pretty amateur. Many big name content providers, such as Netflix and Hulu, and many cable channels also make their content available directly through streaming devices such as Roku.

As for speed, obviously the faster the better, but realistically, you will have a perfect adequate viewing experience with anything greater than 3 MBps.

I hope that helps,

Tedd

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams