Internet Television / Video Streaming/Cable alternatives

I'm researching my options for alternatives to cable TV, and trying to see what is the closest I can come to a set-up that would enable me to continue my current viewing habits.  This would be my model:

I come home from work, plop on my bed, turn on my cable TV and watch CNN or MSNBC or Comedy Central on my television (as opposed to sitting at a desk and staring at a computer screen which I've just finished spending 8 hours staring at for my job).  Because my schedule is erratic, I also set my DVR to record some of those shows just in case I may not make it home in time to watch them right at the actual broadcast time.

Based on my limited research to date, the above scenario would be impossible without cable. With an antenna, I could watch local stations live, but watching what are considered "cable" stations live on a TV is not possible.  It sounds like if I bought Tivo I could record in lieu of the DVR, but instead of recording live programming I'd be recording something from yesterday...essentially, old news.

Please confirm if my understanding of this is correct. I don't mind investing in some new equipment or devices but only if I can keep my current access to this programming.  Frankly, I don't even care if the quality of the picture is worse.  And sometimes I do watch those shows an hour or two later if I'm running late. But what I don't want is to be watching yesterday's news.

Hi Karla

First of all, my apologies for the delay in responding. I forgot to set my vacation dates in the All Experts site.

Yes, I can confirm that what you're describing is not really possible with streaming. Live news is a weakness of streaming, and even where you can get it, you're right... it's a day old.

If that's a dealbreaker for you, you're gonna have to stick with cable, at least for now.

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams

I can answer questions on most types of legal video streaming options, such as Netflix, Roku, Internet-enabled TVs, Hulu, etc. Out of respect for copyright holders, I will not answer questions regarding BitTorrent or other peer-to-peer sharing, where content creators are deprived of their due royalties. I can only answer questions from the viewpoint of a consumer of video services. I have been getting a lot of questions from the standpoint of someone wishing to create content. THIS IS OUTSIDE MY EXPERTISE. My expertise is also limited to knowledge of streaming services and the content available on them, how to subscribe to them, etc. I CANNOT assist with hardware configuration questions.

I have been a cord cutter for over 5 years. My current setup includes a Roku HD box, a PC attached to my computer and surround sound system, and subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. I dropped Cox Communications as my cable TV provider and am saving over $100 a month.

Tulsa World

Masters of Organizational Management, University of Phoenix
Bachelors of Psychology, John Brown University