Internet Television / Video Streaming/Streaming Service questions

Question
These ARE NOT homework questions. Simply gathering info for a possible future purchase?

Why do you believe streaming services(apple tv, chromecast,roku) are becoming more popular these days?

Do you see streaming services eventually replacing cable tv?

What streaming service is your favorite and why?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer
Hi Cameron

There is no doubt that streaming services are becoming more popular these days. The numbers bear that out. Apple sells more Apple TV units every year. Netflix's subscriber base continues to increase dramatically. There are several reasons for this. One, people have long been frustrated by what cable TV offers, but until recently, there weren't many good options. With all the streaming services available now, streaming is simply a more viable option, with fewer downsides than ever. Another reason is that as more people adopt streaming services, the more mainstream it becomes. Especially for younger adults, cable TV is simply not something that is the norm for them. They have never personally subscribed to cable TV and never plan to. They like the mobility provided by streaming services, and don't see the value in paying for a time-bound, location-bound service like cable.

I think it's inevitable that streaming eventually will replace cable TV, for the reasons I mentioned above. Just as we've seen with music, where you used to go to a record store, but an album (vinyl, then cassettes, then CDs), these days, you don't even buy anything physical when you buy music, and you rarely buy a whole album. You download individual songs from iTunes, add those songs to your own playlist, and listen to them anywhere, any time.

I personally own two streaming devices, Apple TV and Roku. I like Roku because it is an open platform and there is a lot of content on it, even if most of it is not worth watching. Apple, on the other hand, as most things Apple, is a much more controlled environment, where Apple is the gatekeeper of what goes on its platform. This used to be very limiting, but it has improved a great deal in the last couple of years. I do prefer Apple TV because it has a beautiful user interface and it gives me access to the majority of content I'm looking for.

As for services, I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Each brings its own unique offering of content... Netflix more for movies, Hulu more for TV shows, but with a little overlap from each. Amazon has some original content and some licensed content. If you go with those three, you're off to a good start.

I hope that helps!

Tedd

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams