Internet Television / Video Streaming/What type of TV to buy

Question
Hi Tedd, I will be buying a big screen TV for the first time and I am not sure what type would be best. I have watched reviews on the different types but I am just as confused after the review as I was when I started. I notice from other responses that you seem to be a fan of Roku so I was wondering if you had any opinion on the new Roku TV's. I don't know if it would be best to get a Roku tv or get a smart tv and add a Roku box. What I want from my tv is to be able to connect my vcr/dvd player, watch my local channels (don't have and don't want cable) and I want to be able to stream content from my internet onto the tv. I have subscriptions to hulu, cbs all access, Pbs, and I don't play games. Also, since I don't have cable, do you know if I would have to connect the converter box I have been using with my old tv  to which ever new tv I purchase?  Thank you, Brenda

Answer
Hi Brenda

My primary piece of advice is to buy the TV for the features of the TV itself, with no consideration of its streaming capabilities. Why? Because usually the built-in streaming on TVs is so far inferior to what you get from from the standalone devices (Roku, AppleTV), in terms of both UI presentation and functionality (navigation, search, etc.), that you'll likely never use the built-in streaming. I'm not familiar with the Roku TV, if you mean a TV manufactured and sold by Roku. I didn't know such a thing exists, but if so, I wouldn't recommend it. I would stick with more established hardware manufacturers, such as Samsung or Sony, and just add on a streaming device. These will give you maximum flexibility and options as far as connecting external devices through HDMI ports. I would suggest getting a TV with no fewer than 2 HDMI ports, and 4 would be even better, as you may want to attach additional devices in the future.

I'm confused about your question on the converter box, since you don't have cable. What purpose does this serve, if not acting as a cable box? If it's because your current TV is so old that it does not support current HDTV standards, then you won't have to worry about that with any new TV you buy. Anything you can get today will support the current HDTV standards.

I hope that helps, but feel free to follow up if you have any further questions.

Tedd

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams