Internet Television / Video Streaming/smart tv problem

hello tedd, my vizio smart tv has a problem streaming you tube. everytime when i watch a video it stops and buffers. is this a problem with wifi or the internet connection speed. i checked the download speed on the smart tv and its only 5kb. i have only 2 wifi bars on my signal. i have a linksys router and i get cable as well. thanks.

Hi Chris

I would say that is definitely your culprit. The minimum bandwidth for streaming any decent quality video is 3MBps. At 5k, I'm surprised you're able to see any video whatsoever. Having said that, the real question now is, why are you only getting that paltry level of bandwidth. I would start by inquiring with your internet service provider. If they determine a strong signal going to your home, I would then test your modem and router.

Hope that helps,

Internet Television / Video Streaming

Tedd Adams

I can answer questions on most types of legal video streaming options, such as Netflix, Roku, Internet-enabled TVs, Hulu, etc. Out of respect for copyright holders, I will not answer questions regarding BitTorrent or other peer-to-peer sharing, where content creators are deprived of their due royalties. I can only answer questions from the viewpoint of a consumer of video services. I have been getting a lot of questions from the standpoint of someone wishing to create content. THIS IS OUTSIDE MY EXPERTISE. My expertise is also limited to knowledge of streaming services and the content available on them, how to subscribe to them, etc. I CANNOT assist with hardware configuration questions.

I have been a cord cutter for over 5 years. My current setup includes a Roku HD box, a PC attached to my computer and surround sound system, and subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. I dropped Cox Communications as my cable TV provider and am saving over $100 a month.

Tulsa World

Masters of Organizational Management, University of Phoenix
Bachelors of Psychology, John Brown University