Interspecies Conflict/Pit Bull Vs Wolf/ Hyena

caramelo wrote at 2008-02-13 08:47:56
I am a canine lover and i have a lil bit of knowledge  about pit bulls n american staffordshire terrier , n they r very strong dogs but domestic pets, n they are not mean animals like most  ignorant people think. They are protective over there owners n they only will show aggression toward the enemy, but when u train any of this types to fight other dogs they could be killer machines n they will fight to death with out showing pain. in other words a wolf is a wild canine, they are larger n also a savage animal,they have bigger teeth than normal dogs n most of the time they attack in groups, lets put it like this, if u put a champion pit or staffordshire to fight any canine including wolves and hyina will kill it if is a strong animal, I am against animal cruelty including fighting dogs its just wrong and I think the goverment should start to crack down on it more.....

CHbreeder wrote at 2008-08-12 03:36:35
The person above me is simply incorrect in saying this. Pitbull's have gameness, more wind than wolves. Pitbulls are not overestimated as fighters, and this statement was simpyly pulled out of Suyasha's a**. Don't get me wrong, but she has obviously overlooked fact, and has probably never witnessed a dogfight. Pitbulls, Dogo Argentino's, and Tosa Inu's are class one fighting dogs, bred for gameness and fights. A wolf stands no chance against a seasoned fighter. Nor does a mastiff, such as the Tibetan. They lose wind, the Dogo or Pitbull is game, and goes in for the kill. I've seen a Dogo Argentino fight up 60 pounds and kill a Tibetan in 40 minute's time. That's a short dog fight right there, and it was a good one. The Tibetan didn't stand a chance, and you could visibly see it break down after the first ten minutes.

Pitbulls, Dogo's, Tosa Inu's are all bred to fight and KILL. A wolf is not bred to fight, and they subsequently get shattered in the pit. Thy are bred to hunt, and more over survive. A pitbull might not have a chance in 10 feet of snow, where the wolf is at home and adapted. But anywhere outside of snow, a wolf's no threat.

Thanks

- Jared

Pitbull wrote at 2008-11-17 00:08:32
In my opinion just because the wolf is an odiously better hunter does not necessarily mean that it is a better fighter. The pitbull at one point was only bread to fight. They people that used to breed theese dogs did a number of in-humain things to prove this dogs toughness. Some would make the dog bull-bait or bull fight, they would force the dog to fight wild pigs that can reach up to 400ibs in weight. Or they would make the dog fight in battle against another dog and cut the bottom of their feet and let the dog fight until it bleed to death and even in death it still wanted to fight.. The pitbull is more than a qualified candidate that can take on the job of killing a wolf. The wolf may be the bigger dpg but in this world size is only half the battle.

tyler_wewa wrote at 2008-11-26 00:36:58
The wolf has been hunted for centuries by other dogs. One of the most noted is the Irish Wolfhound. The Irish Wolfhound would track the wolves down and viciously kill them. With that being said, yes, a pitbull or amstaff would definately be able to attack and kill a wolf in a confontation based on a few facts.

- pitbulls have been bred since the ancient

Roman Empire to fight other dogs one on one

- pitbulls do not rely on a "pack" to kill prey

- the pitbull is bred to be close to the ground, meaning that it would have a direct atvantage to the wolves main neck artories

-wolves group in "packs" and are not one on one fighters, they rely on the other wolves in the pack to fight with them, meaning no real 1 on 1 fight experience

pitbull wins 9 times out of 10

tylerwewa wrote at 2008-12-13 15:51:25
It amazes me how people call themselves experts and think that "bigger is better" when it comes to dogs and fighting. Many people own wolves but they would be silly to fight them against pitbulls because the pitbull is faster, more agile, and has been bred to fight "one on one" for over a thousand years. The wolf is not considered a very good "one on one" fighter because through thousands of years it has relied on the pack for protection makeing it extremely easy to kill an enemy. In the early frontier days the pitbull was actually used to ward off bears and wolves similar to the way the Irish Wolfhound helped kill all of the wolves in Ireland. The hyena would be be in the same class as a blackbear because it would typically take more than one pitbull to kill one.

Remember to do your research before you give an opinion and mislead many of people.

Best Regars,

Tyler

pitman wrote at 2009-01-25 02:54:26
A pit bull can win a fight against a wolf and perhaps a hyena, but this does not pertain to any ordinary pit bull. A game bred pit bull is a formidable opponent, not because of its size or strength, nor any other specialized ability. "Gameness" refers to a trait that in times past was bred into pit bulls and other fighting breeds which was characterized by a willingness to endure or not to give up even when receiving great physical punishment. Now gameness is not to be confused with aggressiveness for there are many pit bulls that posses a wonderful and I would say even gentle disposition, but when such a dog as the aforementioned is engaged in a fight it triggers something, a will I suppose, not to give up. This can be observed in other circles as well. For example, I was a wrestler, and an aggressive or cocky attitude does not equate to success. Some of the greatest wrestlers I've known have been of very humble and quiet demeanor.

There are also some other considerations, one of which is this; do wild animals care to fight or at what point do they resolve to their "flight" mechanism? What I'm saying is this: a pit bull bred for fighting (a good one) has a desire to fight even when circumstances are unfavorable. It will continue to fight when other dogs(or animals for that matter) do not want to continue to fight. This is a specialized trait that has been bred into pitbull, and it has little to do with the animals superior athletic ability. So you take a wolf or hyena, which I suspect could dominate a pit bull at the onset of a fight, but as the encounter would progress the wild beast would not necessarily want to continue to engage in combat but would probably resolve to get away. I'm not saying that any pit bull would be capable of this feat, but simply the right one. Think of it in these terms, not every human will be a world class foot ball player, but there are those who will. The pit bull is a breed that in general excels at fighting, it does not mean that every pit bull is a great fighter no matter how impressive it may look

Kaiser wrote at 2009-03-07 21:21:50
Folks can analyze all they want, but the bottom line is until you've seen it, you don't know it. I have personally witnessed my friend's huge Great Pyrannees (150 lb.) take down and nearly kill a pit bull in minutes after the pit bull tried to attack. This Pyrannees is a majestic dog with a huge main of hair and strong protective instincts having lived out in the woods fending of wolves and bears before. The pit had no chance getting a proper bite and after it tried, the Pyrannees shook the pit off, grabbed it and pinned it down like a ragdoll. Sorry, a large powerful dog with a huge mane would easily destroy a pit. Like I said, I've seen it for real, no hypothetical analysis here.

forrealdog2 wrote at 2009-03-24 01:20:28
NO dog can defeat the apbt .. if it is a game bred pit. These people dont know much about dog fighting. Back in the 70's pitting dogs was very popular where I live. People were bringing in the "new " tough dogs from all over the world. Trust me they did not last long in the pit.. Wolves will not stand and fight , in short order they will leap out of the pit and run. I am sure the hyena would run also from what I have seen on tv. Any pack animal will flee if attacked alone. As for the great pyrenees they were tried also and failed miserably... what i think we have here is folks wanting their favorite dog to be a fighting dog but lets let them be good pets

Kaiser wrote at 2009-03-29 19:39:48
Like I said, until you've seen it, you don't know it. Nothing like first hand witnessing my friend's Great Pyrennees thrash this pit bull. People talk about "game bred" pit bull, but this Pyrennes was "game" since he's used to fending off wolves, coyotes and yes bears. Difference is that this Pyrennees was also very sweet with children and you could trust him. Couldn't trust a pit the same way. Sorry man, but I've seen it for real, and there's no further analysis needed.

emitsomla wrote at 2009-04-15 15:26:25
Pit bulls are bred to fight, wolves are not. (period) Wolves kill things that run from them, pit bulls kill "animals" that run towards them. A wolf will have absolutely no chance against a game bred pitbull. Anybody that says a wolf is stronger than a pit bull, is completely ignorant, and they have not done there research. Do some ressearch. Hyeanas are a different story.

Joey wrote at 2009-04-19 18:55:51
Animal Planet did a show where they measured bite strength (PSI) of pits, german shepards, rotties, etc. Then they measured the strength of wild wolves. The wolves had a much stronger bite strength by far (over 1000 PSI) whereas the pit only had about 700. A wolf bite is therefore much more lethal.

the pit bull guardian wrote at 2009-05-05 04:09:50
pitbulls used to fight are trained to be just as agile if not more so than a wolf and endure rigorous strength and endurence training all starting as a pup all a fighting dog knows is win they have very dense muscles strong bones and extreme dog ageression and have been known to defeat wolves and tibetan mastiffs many times because they do not register pain and simply will not quit as i dont know much about hyenas i cant acuratley comment on a fight between them

i also need to add that not all pitbulls are  these traind killing macheins they siply have the urge to please their owner and if the owner trains the dog to be aggressive then that is what the dog thinks is right... there are no bad dogs just bad owners i currently own 3 american pitbull terriers that i would not dream of fighting but i have seen dog fighting many times and in no affiliat myself with the horrible illegl sport other than to have the knowledg to protect the breeds dignety

Steve wrote at 2009-07-10 23:47:44
Guess I will throw in my 2 cents also.  I have studied many animal breeds including wild and domestic canine species. While in Pakistan I even stood witness to some of the cruel animal fighting they have there.   Now to get to the subject.  As someone stated above Wolves and Hyena's are both pack hunters.  It also is true that Wolves have both more agility and speed then the "APBT", but that is within limits. The Wolf can only maintain those statistic's when they are not under heavy physical abuse and injury.  "APBT"'s on the other hand can maintain their stamina, strength, and pain management over the Wolf with ease.  There are always variable's in any situation, but 9 times out of 10 the "APBT" will come out ahead.  Now with the Hyaenidae, it could be another situation.  Hyaenidae or "Hyena's" are also considered pack hunters. Most times they will wait to scavenge something rather then get into a direct conflict.  Their bite is much stronger then that of a "APBT" (can actually break bones) but they have to get a chance to use it.  Hyena's usually hunt with their pack to chase big game over distance until the animal is to worn out to fight back.  Once again the APBT will come out victorious 9 out of 10 times.

With all of this being said the fact still remains that the APBT is not the toughest of the Canine breed.  The Dogue De Bordeaux has the largest head and the strongest skull and bite force in the whole K-9 world. Boerboels were raised to defend homesteads against Lions in Africa and have even been video taped attacking adult male Lions.  But in the Dog Fighting world Tosa Inu / Tosa Ken's would be considered the toughest of them all.  They have been bred their whole lives to fight all breeds of animals.  With all the modern testing available it has been proven that the Tosa Inu despite its size and weight has  more agility and strength then almost all other breeds.  What also makes this dog dangerous is the intelligence that they have.  They are fit and willing to serve in its capacity as a companion, watchdog, guide dog for people who are blind, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand.  Hopefully this will be enough "FACTS" to answer your questions.

Steve

-MS Zoology

-PHD Biology

majorblood wrote at 2009-08-29 23:35:58
After reading all of everyones opinions I must say people are really ignorant when it comes to canine combat. I am personally a pitbull breeder and professional dogfighter. I been in this business for 46 years which could easily classify me more than qualified to be taken very seriously on what I say. There is no canine in existance today that can defeat champion bred, game bred apbt's. The only dog that has somewhat of a chance is the tosa, but even the tosa will give up after a while. To understand what a dog ( domestic ) is made of you must first understand it's geneology. I'd bet my house and everything I own that I have at least 35 dogs that cannot be beat by any dog other than another well bred gamebred apbt.   Sincerely, majorblood

Nal wrote at 2009-09-01 02:16:15
That's just silly. The American Pit Bull Terrier / American Staffordshire Terrier was bred for bear and bull baiting. When those were outlawed it was dog fighting.

Wolves and hyenas hunt in packs, so yes - they would win. And they would also win against a pack of pitties because pits would not work together like a wolf pack.

But one on one a pittie would shred the other dog up.

Mastiffs, German Shepards, Wolves. These are all bred for large game, and have the power and size for it. But a pittie is bred to be lightning fast and to get in there and devastate with tears and broken legs. A American Pit Bull Terrier / American Staffordshire Terrier would win any day.

Now when it comes to a person... I would much rather be attacked by a pitbull than a Mastiff. But this is altogether something different.

joe wrote at 2009-09-03 02:06:59
This is difficult because to many factors are missing. A pitbull bred to fight is superior in his task, such as in fighting. Take a wolf out of his environment and placed in the pit and might defend itself but might loose in this atmosphere. Take a pitbull out of his masters home and thrown into the wild without his high protein dog food for days and comes across a 175lb lone grey wolf he will get slaughtered and maybe even eaten. As for a hyena, forget. A hyena has a strong bite force then a lion so forget that theory. No domestic animal in the wild will survive!

Rik wrote at 2009-09-04 17:59:50
Wolves are predators though.  I mean, I don't know much about dog fighting because I've never been in the business myself and do not condone it.  But I can tell you honestly when I was in the military the military police trained german shepherds were out going through the obstacle course one day and a pitbull came out from no where and charged it, that german shepherd put a whippin on it within minutes.  So I don't want to say that a pit cannot be beaten, or maybe it's because that german shephered was a highly trained police dog who is trained to attack, kill or defend.  But wolves are predators, those things fight everyday within their own pack as well.  Their bones are denser, they have greater lung capacity and a high number of fast twitch muscle fibers and when they bite they kill.  They are used to taking on opponents with the strength as a bear.  a pits strength cannot compare to that.  Like I said, i'm definitely no expert but i do not think a pit can last 5 minutes against an adult male Arctic Wolf.

dave wrote at 2009-09-13 23:19:11
Hahahaha .... If you fight your pit bull everyday then yes it might later be a good fighter. A wolf hunts everyday.  So, I predicted that the wolf will be a better fighter, hunter, killer.  Again who had seen a real fight between a wolf and a pit?  Let say don't give a ring for the fight and let the fight be given freely in the wild.  Wild animals like wolf get spooked out because they see fat human heads looking at them.  Once they get freaked out why would they want to show their best fighting instinct?  I can be sure that if a pit bull was lost in the wild it would rather run than fight with the wolf because it is not use to the environment and it is also intimidated and feel lost in it.  The setting matters a lot when you fight a domesticated with a wild animal. Also depends on which wolf your talking about.  There are smaller wolfs and bigger wolfs.  The biggest wolf I had seem close up before is 4 feet tall and around 8-9 feet in length with tail north American gray wolf.  Normally APBT are 2-3 feet tall and 3-4 feet long with tails.   Heynas will just laugh and kill your ABPT. Come on...even lions runs from them.

majorblood wrote at 2009-09-17 01:01:19
I never heard so much foolishness in my life. A game bred pitbull will run around in the wild looking for something to kill. As far as a trained shepard lol that is easy lunch money for a pit. Wolves cannot and will not engage in one on one combat. They would rather run. Remember grasshoppers domestic dogs come from wild dogs. Breeders took wild dogs and made them better for whatever reason they bred them. Foolish grasshoppers, kill your own curiosity and purchase a gamebred pitbull. The talent, ability, drive, intelligence, hard bite, and extremely high prey drive will make you a believer. You think you know, but unless you've seen the best of this particular breed you really have no idea. You dudes crack me up really. Can someone else who know what im talking about please shed some light on these young grasshoppers please.

akshay wrote at 2009-09-19 13:43:22
i have one tibetian mastiff dog female and i want to trained her i dont know the method of training so i hope u may told me the mathods of training ok see u later on

Cristian wrote at 2009-10-25 06:33:15
First off, I think out of everybody that has posted, about 95% are arrogant in your answers, the others posted facts, well most of you posted facts, but are oblivious to another perspective.

I know not much of one, but by reading a bit, and reading everybody's answer, yes a APBT game-bred animal is a tough obstacle and his been bred to fight, and kill, but a Wolf, Hyena, are BORN to kill. With that being said, a Wolf that is starving, won't run away from a tinier animal such as a APBT, humans will do ridiculous amounts of things for food, what makes you think a savage won't? An APBT, imo is a dumb match up for a grown male, hungry wolf on the lookout for any type of prey.

Joe, had the best answer out of all of them, if you take a wolf and 'game-breed' it it will outdo the wolf in almost all fashions, it's stronger, faster, more endurance, bites harder, thicker coat, EVERYTHING, it's foolish as hell, to think a ABPT would beat a Wolf, and yes Pitbulls 'were' bred to fight, but they are ALL domestic animals, they were meant to bull bait, and bear bait, there's tons of other domestic dogs that are known to hunt/kill, because thats what they were BRED to do. A house Pitbull would get slaughtered by a house Rott. Or to put it in better terms, a house Pitt, would get slaughtered by a regular 'house' wolf, if those are even allowed, to make it fair, why not put a gamebred Wolf or Hyena vs a Game-bred APBT, see how long your precious little Pitbull lasts then.

Mr knowitall wrote at 2010-02-15 20:50:26
Ok let settle this. Back in the frontier days wild wolves frequently tangled with coon dogs( type of hound) and other lesser breeds than apbt and lost thier lives and I'm not talking about a scared wolf in a pit I'm talking big rouge males looking for a easy livestock meal and met ol yeller instead. Pound for pound a pit would be stronger let's not forget the great wieght pullers they are.in the wild two wolves rarely fight to the death even with rival pace. After one wolf sustains enough damage they will tuck tail and run.wolves can produce more bite pressure but at the back of their jaw for chewing/shearing meat from carcasas they are not used for fighting.while wolves will grab and shake they have a more slash and tare type style.all that being said a good size game bred dead game dogg wold win 9 outta 10 times.and for all those who say they wittnessed someother dog beat a apbt  show me the papers that say that was a purebred game dog or shut up.as for the hyena wich related to wolverines and other weasels by the way could kill a pit but again they are not designed to fight in the face of pain and an enemy that won't quit. a charging pit would confuse and scare them. They are PAC animals and rarely fight to the one on one with other hyena again some one usualy tucks tail and runs. Now with all that being said if a hyena wanted to kill a put he could. They have a dense coat that a pit won't be able to open easily and it wouldn't take much for a hyena to kill a dog . as far as stamina a Pitt has nothing on a hyena these things can pace about 15-20 mph for miles and their born to do it.So again if a hyena wanted to kill  a pit 10outta10 times she wold.unlike a wolf wich if it was willing would probly win maybe 10-25% the time same as any other fighting able dog.remember boys and girls a hyena is a super predator it's not a dog they a are built to compete with lions leopards and crocs all animals that would make easy lunch out of any dog if they desired and often do.  

blahalbblah wrote at 2010-03-02 00:11:20
YOU GUYS HAVE GOTTEN YOUR FACTS COMPLETELY WRONG A SINGLE WOLF WAS REPORTED TO HAVE KILLED A BISON ALL BY ITSELF NO DOG STANDS A CHANCE AGAINST A WOLF NOT EVEN YOUR CHAMPION FIGHTING DOGS OR WHATEVER A WOLF WOULD DESTROY A PITBULL IRISHWOLFHOUNDS ARE NOT FIGHTERS A KURDISH KANGAL COULD INTIMIDATE THE WOLF AND CHASE IT OFF BUT IT COULDN'T KILL IT ONE ON ONE AND WOLVES FIGHT ALL THE TIME FOR DOMINANCE AND THAT'S THE RIGHT ANSWER

Bigtingz wrote at 2010-03-03 20:52:06
LOLOL My friend a wild wolf in a cage with a GAME BRED fighting pitbull would have NO chance. A wolf is a wild animal with the fight or flight instinct. This instinct is what has kept wolves around for millions of years. This instinct means that if the wolf is confronted by a foe it would weigh up the odds of it surviving the outcome but crucialy if the outcome would be worth the effort. A pit bull has been bred to loose that instinct "GAME BRED" it will never give up. A wolf will use canine body language to avoid a combat i.e. growling and barking biting even  mounting tail between legs submission, if that doesn't work it would try to run away. The pitbull terrier however is exclusively bred to fight OTHER DOGS. The dogs that barked or growled before combat and show signs of quiting or submission were and are culled. A pitbull should yelp with excitement before combat. They have lost the fight or flight instinct. They just fight no matter what the odds outcome or reason. Also they are built and trained exclusivley to fight OTHER DOGS not to hunt game.They posess key atributes, speed agilty stamina and strength.They are built low to the ground and have large lungs in proportion to body size. The fact that they would be in a pit or cage would be i guess an advantage for the pit bull, as an aggressive dog would be able to get a better bite grip if  a defensive dog was against the wall. Any way pitbulls were around a long time ago do you not think people would have fought them with wolves in the past? Dog fighting is an old and billion dollar industry with breeders striving to achieve the best fighting breed. If wolves were any good in the ring they would be bred and used to fight to this day. I think it's simple IT WOULD BE LIKE A BOUNCER IN THE RING WITH MIKE TYSON!!!

As for a pitbull vs a hyena which is not a canine, i guess the hyena would win? It could probly kill the pitbull in 1 bite.The power of ther jaws are formidable more powerfull then a male lion. I believe it would take several pitbulls, maybe 2or 3.  

Bigtingz wrote at 2010-03-03 20:58:14

inqui wrote at 2010-03-13 03:35:05
I don't know whether a pit bull could defeat a wolf. But the argument that a wolf is, after all, a wild creature in nature, and that a pit bull is still a dog, needs some re-visiting. I think that few people would have a problem acknowledging the possibility that man could breed a dog that could out-smell a wolf - the blood hound, or could out-run it - the grey hound. So why is it inconceivable that a dog could be so bred to fight that it could even out-fight a wolf?

A wolf is no doubt a much better hunter. But its instinct and experience is not to fight another dog/wolf-like creature to the death. If it were trained in pit fighting, maybe.  

Brooks wrote at 2010-03-17 20:19:52
A wolf would not stand much of a fighting chance, one on one, against a game bred American Pitbull Terrior. First I must state I am completely opposed to Dog Fighting however have researched the APBT extensively and my findings resulted in they are the ultimate fighting canine. There build alone is the #1 reason for their superiority....the short legs, broad chest and girth of the head. There is a reason in the illegal dogfighting arena you never hear about Rottweilers, Mastiffs or other taller, larger dogs being paired against a APBT...the longer legs leave the neck very exposed and vulnerable to a deadly neck bite crushing the neck bone and anything else that might stand in the way. This would in most likeliness be the ending result for the wolf.

APBT's use to be used in law enforcement, however that practice has diminished, the reason being the APBT's deliver crushing/damaging bite to the person being pursued. Where as a thinner snouted dog, such as a German Shepard is more designed to just puncture, causing much less damage.  

Fred wrote at 2010-09-04 04:33:25
It is ironic that so many people who have no experience or expertise in this area write as if they know the answers and everyone else is ignorant. I'll have to believe the people who have first hand experience. If a German Shepard, Mastiff, or Wolf could beat a Pit Bull in a pit, then people would be fighting them in a pit. But, people don't do that because it is known by the experts in dog fighting that a Pit Bull will win.

Wolfhounds and some other dog breeds are bred to kill wolfs. If they couldn't do that, then there would still be wolves in Ireland.

Wolves are designed by nature to kill big game, not other canines. They are good at hunting in packs and killing big herbivores. Killing a bison is much different than killing another predator.

But, there are always exceptions.

Let's try to get to the truth and not expound ignorance, making other people more ignorant.

dde wrote at 2010-09-24 01:58:50
a hyenas bite force breaks through bone in one bite. and will easily defeat and shatter a pitbulls skull with one single bite. AND HYENAS ARE NOT IN TEH SAME ANIMAL FAMILY AS DOGS U RETARDS

Natco wrote at 2011-01-18 01:13:54
I have no idea about pit bulls and wolves, but I have two close friends that grew up in separate parts of Africa, and I contacted both of them.  One grew up in an area where pit bulls were regularly fought, and they both insisted that a Hyena would very easily and quickly kill any breed of dog.  Point in fact the pit bull breeders occasionally lost dogs to Hyenas.  Before any one shouts "pack hunters" I should point out that not all Hyenas hunt in packs.  They at times kill adult lions, and leopards and have a harder bite than either big cat.  More than four times that of a pitbull.  They regularly kill and eat humans, and hunt as often as they scavenge.  Very large adult females have weighed as much as 190 lb.  Also Matt who grew up in Sierra Leon (not sure of the spelling) pointed out that Chimpanzees killed and ate the hunting and fighting dogs in his village, but the Hyenas were seen killing the Chimpanzees.

Michael wrote at 2011-05-20 00:13:36
A pitbull could most likely kill an adult wolf or hyena, any kind of mastiff has no problem killing them. I've personally seen dogs like irish wolfhounds and st. bernards kill entire packs of wolves. I live on a farm, and my best friend had a old lame st. bernard with only three legs and arthritis in all its joints, the dog was almost ten years old. (old for one of those giant dogs). Anyways, i was at my friends house one night when a pack of seven wolves came into his yard and the bernard killed four of them and drove the rest off. Most large dog breeds have no problem killing wild dogs, because wild dogs are all bark. Wild animals are too scared to fight, because even if they win and break a leg or a foot, chances are they will starve to death because they cant catch prey anymore. Most wild animals dont have a constant source of nutrition like peoples animals either, so their typically not as large and strong as they could be.

does it really matter wrote at 2011-09-28 17:43:33
In my opinion your answer has a large fundamental flaw. I don't believe that you have much experience with the American Pitbull terrier(APBT) as you are not taking into account the trait of "gameness". Which the APBT is specifically bread for.

It is important to note, that the APBT would not survive in a wild setting, because the survival instinct or the fight or flight has been bread out of them. Instead of hunting it would choose to fight and kill each-other before choosing to hunting for food.

In the wild violent encounters are very brief and the natural instinct is to run.

The APBT sustains massive violence for extreme amounts of time even hours with a consistent bite force adequate enough to destroy any bone or tissue it focuses on.

Yes the Hyena and wolf are stronger and bigger but they will not stay in the battle they have no "hart" especially when faced with a persistent charge. They are opportunist not a specialist.

The APBT is not over rated it will,can and has on MANY occasions triumphed in theses type of matches.  

ASSHOLE PIT FANS wrote at 2012-01-30 15:10:17
WOLF WINS U ASSHOLES THEIR BIGGER STRONGER FASTER TOUGHER IN A FIGHT TO THE DEATH HAVE LARGER HEADS TEETH JAWS.THERES A REASON THEIR HE KING OF CANIDS YOU ASSHOLES.

Alexander wrote at 2012-06-28 22:20:44
this has nothing to do with "FAN FARE", BUDDY! FACT is FACT! this is also not about "STRENGTH","SPEED", or "POWER". i may also ADD that this is not about, "THE WILDERNESS",HA! or none of this FOOLISH TALK! this is about:1ON1 FIGHT! now with that being said. in the PIT, the bull dog is BEST,PERIOD!

TuxBox wrote at 2012-08-25 19:36:16
Google wolf vs pitbull video. The one you are looking for is 38 seconds long. That is how long it took for the wolf to win. That said, the owner of that pit needs to be shot along with any other *****le that lets their dogs fight!

Game Dog wrote at 2013-02-13 22:32:43
Everyone ALWAYS brings up that no dog can beat a GAME PITBULL. I would argue this and say that MOST dogs can't beat ANY GAME DOG. I've seen game Kangals BRUTALLY take down game pitbulls. I've seen game American Bulldogs BRUTALLY take down game pitbulls.

dave wrote at 2013-05-01 18:35:48
Even a not fully grown hyena can generate greater bite force than any mastiff. The mastiff's best bet would be to try and make a lucky escape to keep from being torn apart. Hyena can kill any domestic dog breed. There is no comparison. It would kill the dog with a neck destroying bite or a skull piercing bite to the head.

dave wrote at 2013-05-01 18:54:11
I would just add that a pit bull observed bite force is a mere 238psi  substantially the same as the formidable german shepherd. You guys are silly. A hyena bite force has been observed at 1000psi even the 30-60lb African wild dog would make dinner out of your champion bred pitbulls. As for mastiff? Same deal lions kill hyena and any hyena would CRUSH THE SKULL of a mastiff or PB. A lion would break any dog's spine the way they do it to hyena in the wild. A mexican grey wolf has an observed bite force of over 400psi and it being a wild animal would kill and eat the PB if given the chance.

Interspecies Conflict

Suyash