Interspecies Conflict/Fatal Encounters

spokes wrote at 2012-09-27 05:33:10
Two sloth bears vs Bengal tiger- In a fight to the death, the bengal tiger would still win. Sloth bears are lightly built bears, have weak bites, and they are not as predatory as other bears. They have long claws and are aggressive, which gives them a good chance to win.

Two sloth bears vs male lion- The sloth bears have a higher chance to win this one as lions arent as powerful nor strong as tigers are. They are not well experienced in fighting bears. A lion wouldnt survive their sheer aggression of the 2 sloth bears.  

endless sky wrote at 2012-10-09 06:35:13
Two large male sloth bears could well beat a tiger or a lion in a fight, and the felines would struggle.

If a tiger and a lion was in south america, I think the only predators they would fear is a large anaconda and the alligator/caiman. They are very powerful animals, and have been known to drown jaguars in water.  

siddharth wrote at 2013-01-02 06:57:51
I think what you meant was 2 120 kg sloth bears could beat a lion or a tiger with brutual injuries. I certainly agree with that.

The largest black caiman found in south america was 2400 lbs, and exceeded 20 ft in length. This crocodile could destroy both a lion or a tiger easily in water as well as on land. I do not think an average adult male at 13 ft and 660 lbs would be able to do as much.

Yours truly

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.