Interspecies Conflict/Canine Bite Forces

dingo41 wrote at 2012-11-06 17:35:07
The King of Dogs is the Mastiff, sometimes called erroneously the English or British Mastiff.  The National Geographic ran a study which put the bite force of a 160 pound Mastiff at 556 p.s.i.  And, a hundred sixty pounder is a comparative midget for the breed.  It is not uncommon for male Mastiffs to weigh around 250 pounds.  In the same study, for example, a 130 pound Rottweiler had a bite p.s.i. of 328 pounds.  

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.