Interspecies Conflict/dog vs wolf

Question
Hello, Andy!  Welcome to the site.

Do you believe there is any type of domestic dog that can take on a grey wolf and come out on top on most occasions?

Do you believe there is any type of domestic dog that can take on a spotted hyena and come out on top on most occasions?

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Brad,
Thanks for the welcome and the questions.

I have worked with dogs in a reserve, however they were trained for work and safety. Domestic dogs would have to be of tough stuff to beat a grey wolf. Irish Wolfhounds were bred for this very purpose and they succeeded so yes.
If you are talking breeds well then any of the fighting breeds with training could possibly do it however a wild grey wolf will be a nightmare for 95% of all dogs.

Now this is something I have heard about. Hyenas are ferocious when they get going, they can chomp up a warthogs skull with there adapted jaw power. They are tough rugged fighters who don't tire easily. They are responsible for killing lots of dogs down here. I believe the best defence dogs are the fighting breeds like the Bull terrier or the APBT dogs however in a fight the Spotty Hyena could munch them up theoretically. I'v seen lots more of the Dogos around since they are good security dogs but to me they are just a big Pit Bull. I would say the best APBT could beat an average Spotty because of it's fierceness and gameness, but an above average female Hyena could beat any dog in the world. So, no an average domestic dog would not have much of a chance against a Hyena.

Thanks.  

Interspecies Conflict

Andy