Interspecies Conflict/Dogs and other Animals

Question
Hello Andy nice to meet you! Here are some questions ive been wondering about! here goes.

Could a Skunk scare off a Leopard using its terible scent?

A while ago a question on 30 APBTs working as a pack was presented.And that expert said that even the likes of bison,gaur and giraffes couldnt survive that attack is he correct? How seriouse do you think a pack of 30 pitbulls working together is?

How often do Nile or saltwater crocs take Buffalo?

Could a Leopard,Cougar,Jaguar kill an adult Nile Crocodile?

How secsisful do you think Dholes are using there pack tactice to bring down pray? Do you think they could take out fully grown Giraffe,Hippo,or Walrus?

Thank you

Answer
Hi Gian, thanks for the questions

ok
If the Leopard was starving it may persist in the attack despite the smell but it is in for a nasty surprise when days later it still can't get away from it, that smell would certainly put off most but a Leopard preying on a Skunk would likely not give it time to react like that. Skunks are super smart too tho, by the way a Skunk usually stamps it's feet on the ground before spraying as a warning so if you see a skunk do this, you know what's about to happen!

A while ago a question on 30 APBTs working as a pack was presented.And that expert said that even the likes of bison,gaur and giraffes couldnt survive that attack is he correct? How seriouse do you think a pack of 30 pitbulls working together

I think they would be a serious threat to every living thing but in reality they would face worse predators if indeed they were in Africa, Spotted Hyena clans are bigger than that so they would likely wipe the floor with the dogs, also Lions would be a serious danger, the problem for the APBT pack would be there lack of fear and impulsive aggressive tendencies, if they encountered a Buffalo they very may well attack it, but Buffalo s are in a herd and they would be destroyed by the Buffalos, one Buffalo 30 ye may do it. They are highly athletic and muscular to an extent but a pack of 30 APBT would loose members fast! When Hurricane Katrina happened there were indeed packs of fighting pits walking around, they would attack cows and bulls and would loose members in nearly each attack, the pictures were quite horrific actually. If you mean they would be directed form a human than ye they would be a force but just not as effective as other hound dogs.

A few times a year when Buffalo cross the rivers, they do indeed have members lost to Nile Crocodiles. A Buffalo however are one of the tougher prey items, they usually go for the young and injured not the tough ones.

ooh it would take one brave Jaguar to attack a Crocodile like this, Jaguars do indeed hunt Caiman but the Nile Croc can kill the Jaguar, If the Jaguar could get a head bite quickly maybe, this Jaguar would have to be the very best of them. The Leopard could handle small or injured ones but no way those giants that hang around the Nile.

They are very successful in what they hunt but Rhino are unlikely targets as would a Giraffe be. The Walrus could succumb nut it would take weeks for them to get threw that blubber so all these would be hard for the dog, actually if I think about it maybe the Giraffe if the Dholes have nothing else to eat and it's a matter of survival they may find a way to do it.

Hope that Helps,
Andy.

Sorry just to correct one thing I said about Pitbull that escaped due to Hurricane Katrina, that did happen but many were also shot by rangers and farmers and so forth. The actual incident I was talking about was a male and female attacking a bull in which some ranger intervened and shot the dogs, it was not the Bull that did the damage.  

Interspecies Conflict

Andy