Interspecies Conflict/Interesting

Question
QUESTION: Hello andy,

Question: What dogs are good guard dogs?

1) Mountain lion vs 3 Rottweilers
2) 90 lb Amur leopard vs 2 110 lb german shepherds
3) 130 lb mountain lion vs 2 100 lb siberian huskies
4) Mule deer vs 3 pitbulls
5) 150 lb chimpanzee vs 2 200 lb bullmastiffs
6) 150 lb Spotted hyena vs 300 lb British mastiff
7) Wild boar vs 7 pitbulls
8) 300 lb Red deer vs 2 150 lb caucasian mountain dogs

ANSWER: Hi Edore,
Thanks for the Questions

1. Mountain lion vs 3 Rottweilers
In reality the Mountain Lion would run off, it could well kill them 1 on 1 but not 3 attacking Dogs. However, the prime Mountain Lion could do it but an average one could not. The Dogs will have the confidence in numbers however as I said if a prime Cougar came it could kill one really quickly and the odds would change just as quick! I know Leopard can kill the toughest of Dogs quick and I presume the Mountain Lion with those big paws could.

2. 90 lb Amur leopard vs 2 110 lb german shepherds
German Shepherds work extremely well together and if they had one more here they could possibly do it but in this the average Amur will kill the weakest quickly and then really give it to the next one. This particular Dog however would weigh up the options and flee, in my opinion. The Cat would unlikely want to fight either but it could do it. You state a 90LB Amur, didn't notice that till now so no I don't think it would win against the dogs, totally unfair cruel attack.

3. 130 lb mountain lion vs 2 100 lb siberian huskies
The Mountain Lion could win here. I think the Dogs would flee, however the most likely thing that would happen is the Cat catches one, viscously kills it and the other runs off.

4. Mule deer vs 3 pitbulls
Horrible but the Pits will win after a screaming horrible fight. One Pit will die and the others will have injuries.

5. 150 lb chimpanzee vs 2 200 lb bullmastiffs
I think the Dogs would be too much here, they are both bigger than the Chimp so too much, if the Chimp put all his potential into the fight however he could do some real damage, damage the Dogs would never get over. If the Dogs were pet domestic types the Chimp could trick them or seperate them, then the odds would change but as it stands the Dogs win.

6. To be honest that Dog is too fat, he would loose lots of Stamina and the Hyena would put holes all over him, far better if the Dog was the same weight as the Hyena. Hyena would latch and rip chunks until the Dog drops due to blood loss, I saw one Hyena do this to an injured Lion and the Lion was a mess.

7. Wild boar vs 7 pitbulls
Ye, the Dogs would have little to worry about if they work well together, this is not an unlikely situation and actually it wouldn't take 7 maybe 4 could do well with a Wild Boar, however Boar have fatally injured Pits and any other Dogs in hunts like this one. The Wild Boar wont go down without a fight and the Dogs are up for a fight.

8.  300 lb Red deer vs 2 150 lb caucasian mountain dogs
Well now, that is a hell of a Deer and the Dogs would hesitate I'm sure of it. I think the Dogs are prime and trained it's more than possible if not they will sustain viscous injuries that if it doesn't cause death there and then it would afterwards. Tough Dogs but they would need more with this Deer, Wolves usually need at least 3 or 4 for this type of attack.

Hope That helps Edore, thanks.

QUESTION: How about these matchups?

150 lb spotted hyena vs 180 lb british mastiff

130 lb mountain lion vs 2 150 lb neapolitan mastiffs

130 lb jaguaress vs 2 220 lb tibetan mastiffs

300 lb red deer vs 300 lb black bear

400 lb red deer vs 400 lb brown bear

Answer
Hi again Edore,
These are tough ones, very close!

I have had the privilege of working with Hyena, I have also come into contact with the type of Dog this is, and it is a powerful dog that may scare off a Hyena but if a equal fight happened and both used all there power the Hyena would win quite confidently. Hyenas are massively powerful and when they are in fight mode they rip flesh form the other. Realistically the Hyena will want to flee this monster Dog but if it uses the power it has to 100% the Dog is in for a long painful death. Hyena bites are more like a vice closing quickly, they tend to be bone crushing, even if the Dog is stronger the Bites may be enough for it to bleed out.

Size is on the Dogs size and I think they can do it, but if they make a mistake one could die very quickly. Mountain Lions have killed Dogs but these two are above the threshold of what a 130Lb Mountain Lion can handle.

I think the Dogs will have the upper hand, at this size the Jaguaress is nota big one enough to do this, what I worry about tho is the holes the Jaguaress could put in the skulls of the dogs, If the cat got the jump on one dog it could still do it, the bite force is massive and very precise. I think this is a 70/30 to the dogs because of the Jaguaress wanting to flee. A few weeks ago a Jaguar killed 3 Dogos in a hunt so it's definitely within a the species to kill dogs and easily by the sounds of it but at the size of the dogs it will go there way.

300 lb red deer vs 300 lb black bear
If the fight persists the Bear will win, but if the Deer is a stag and a particularly aggressive one the Bear will leave it alone. 50/50 depends on the individual Deer. It's not out of the range of what this Bear preys upon but at similar sizes it will face injury.

400 lb red deer vs 400 lb brown bear
Brown Bear stands more of a chance here. I'd give it 70/30, if the Deer puts up too much fight the Bear will leave the situation but even a smaller Brown can fight hard.

Hope that ok Edore!  

Interspecies Conflict

Andy