Interspecies Conflict/Fights, fights, fights

Hi Jim, hope you are having a good week.

1: English mastiff (an old-time game-bred fighting one) vs. BK at exact parity

2: To the best that you can imagine, please rank from least to most effective against a rhino pound-for-pound (at parity):

Cape buffalo
Honey badger
Spotted hyena
Elite fighting bull
Tasmanian devil
Male lion

3: You have said that an elite bull-breed dog would be very slightly favored against a honey badger or wolverine at exact parity. How would this fight play out?

4: Rutting bull elk vs. black bear at exact parity

Hey Martin,

1. Hard to compare really. We don't know how good the mastiff would be when compared to today's breeds. I would tentatively go with the BK though, as I think it may be the more athletic dog.

Tasmanian Devil
Spotted Hyena
Honey Badger
Cape Buffalo
Fighting Bull

3. Even at parity the dog would be notably more powerful. Basically a furry piece of lean muscle mass, the dog would get more out of what weight it has. If elite, not meaning just physically, but mentally as well, it will go straight at the badger/wolverine, getting a good hold on it and not letting it do anything. This initial attack could be met with a bone crushing bite to the dog's head, but that is the risk it takes.

4. I'd go with the elk. The bear just doesn't have the know-how to deal with a similarly sized animal that is well armed.

Cheers Martin. Happy Holidays.  

Interspecies Conflict

Jim Wilson

I can answer most questions relating to real or hypothetical situations. I have a better understanding of animal behavior and specifically predatory behavior and interspecies predatory relationships. Mammals is my field of expertise but I can do my best in answering questions regarding other animals. Small mammals are my favourite matchups. One or two prehistoric match-ups is OK, but please do not focus on them as they are outside my expertise.

Even before completing my degree I considered myself an expert in mammal behavior. Doing my degree only furthered my interest and knowledge in the subject. After uni I got the opportunity to spend 6 months in South Africa and Kenya where I spent nearly every day basically observing and studying the animals of the savanna.

BSc Degree in Zoology from the Melbourne University, Australia.